Advertiser: Mamamia.com.au4.1429 out of 54.1 overall rating (14 employee reviews) More jobs from this company
- Job Listing Date
- 29 Jun 2020
- Sydney, CBD, Inner West & Eastern Suburbs
- Work Type
- Full Time
- Advertising, Arts & Media, Journalism & Writing
About the Role
Mamamia have an exciting opportunity for an Evening Editor with a love of all things entertainment, news and pop culture to autonomously drive the editorial team during the evening. You will be responsible for directing the team, assigning stories to writers as well as editing, writing and publishing high quality stories.
The Evening Editor will ensure no important stories are missed and the site is run smoothly during your shift. You will be responsible for pitching, editing and commissioning high quality content and you will provide support to content producers, freelancers and the wider editorial team.
This role involves working Sunday, 9am - 5pm, and Monday to Thursday from 2pm - 10pm.
- Monitoring TV, radio, print and online content as well as social media platforms to ensure you’re constantly on top of the news cycle and aware of ‘what everyone’s talking about’.
- Chasing talent, conducting interviews and writing opinion pieces where required.
- Writing, monitoring, post loading, image-sourcing and editing work.
- Maintaining and fostering relationships with outside media partners, and ensuring Mamamia content is consistent with their guidelines.
- Develop story concepts alone and as part of a team.
- Editing the work of in-house talent and external freelancers, ensuring the copy is outstanding and the SEO and image choice is spot-on.
- Edit stories to ensure pieces are on brand and error free.
- Mentoring and helping to develop the writing work of juniors.
We're looking for an experienced journalist with a trained eye for quality and experience across a range of media, particularly digital. You are reactive, thrive under pressure and are able to prioritise what stories are right for Mamamia. You are excited about creating smart, original and stand-out content and have a thorough understanding of Australian TV and celebrity culture, as well as news. You know how to find the hook in every good story, writing shareable headlines and engaging our audience on multiple platforms.
- Minimum 5 years experience as a journalist or editor (preferably in the digital environment).
- Tertiary qualifications in Journalism, Media or Communications.
- Experience managing and leading high performing teams.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment and meet deadlines under pressure.
- Ability to quickly and concisely write well researched engaging stories.
- Can provide team members with quality and specific feedback.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
What's on Offer
A fun, dynamic and collaborative workplace culture.
A day off for your birthday (mama-me day!).
Free breakfast daily (toast, coffee, tea, fruit).
Leisure and Lifestyle benefits.
Purchased Leave Scheme.
Paid Parental Leave.
Opportunities to get involved with our charity partnerships.
Freebies, industry deals and the occasional selfie opportunity with awesome celebs.
Convenient Woolloomooloo location.
Mamamia is an equal opportunity employer, all applicants will be considered regardless of your race, sexuality, religion, colour, gender identity or parental status. We strongly encourage Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to apply.
- Which of the following statements best describes your right to work in Australia?
- How many years of people management experience do you have?
- Are you experienced with copy writing and content creation?
- How many years' experience do you have as a journalist?
- Have you completed a qualification in journalism?