Advertiser: Pilbara Community Legal Service Inc.More jobs from this company
- Job Listing Date
- 27 Jul 2020
- Port Hedland, Karratha & Pilbara
- Work Type
- Full Time
- Legal, Generalists - Law Firm
The Pilbara Community Legal Service Inc. (PCLS) is a non-profit, government-funded community organisation that provides a range of free services which include legal advice, financial counselling, tenancy advocacy and support, domestic violence advocacy and support, migrant settlement, redress support and disability advocacy services. PCLS is a well-established and highly valued part of the Pilbara social infrastructure with offices in Karratha, Roebourne, South Hedland and Newman.
This position will give you the opportunity to gain invaluable experience in a busy community legal service that services the Pilbara community. The Pilbara has a unique and rich heritage and culture, in particular its diverse Indigenous and multi-cultural heritage, spectacular landscapes and an abundance of places to visit and explore.
This position is responsible for providing information, legal advice, casework and education across legal issues such as domestic violence, family and de facto law, child protection, wills and deceased estates, and criminal injuries compensation.
To be considered for interview this position you must possess the following six (6) essential requirements:
- Admitted to practice in WA.
- Demonstrated skills in working with, and knowledge of, Microsoft Office programs including Word, Excel and Outlook and other data base entry systems.
- High level, interpersonal and written communication skills.
- High quality time management skills.
- Current ‘C’ Class Driver’s License.
- A strong commitment to social justice and access to justice issues.
The following three (3) qualifications, experience, and qualities are desirable:
- The ability to interact sensitively and effectively with a broad range of stakeholders including Aboriginal and CALD clients, community groups, Government and Non-Government agencies.
- A socio-historical understanding of Aboriginal cultures and an understanding of issues facing Aboriginal people, and people from culturally diverse backgrounds.
- Previous involvement in the Community Legal Sector and knowledge of CLASS database.
Applying for the position: please submit a current and detailed Resume or CV which must include a cover letter addressing the above criteria to the Principal Solicitor at firstname.lastname@example.org Newly admitted solicitors are encouraged to apply.
Applications close: 4:00pm (WST) 14 August 2020, Please note that the advertisement may close earlier if a potential suitable candidate is found.
- How much notice are you required to give your current employer?