Senior Civil Engineer (Water)
Advertiser: Warren Smith & Partners Pty LtdMore jobs from this company
- Job Listing Date
- 8 Sept 2020
- Sydney, CBD, Inner West & Eastern Suburbs
- Work Type
- Full Time
- Engineering, Civil/Structural Engineering
Warren Smith & Partners has provided industry leading design solutions throughout NSW and Australia since 1981. Our team of dedicated, experienced engineers, designers and support staff have undertaken in excess of 6,000 projects with a recognised specialisation in Hydraulic, Fire and Civil Engineering Services as well as Sydney Water Co-ordination and Project Management. We are currently working on several state significant projects including Sydney Metro, Sydney Metro West, Sydney Metro Western Sydney Airport, Barangaroo and Sydney Airport which we require assistance on.
At Warren Smith & Partners we believe in building engineering teams that are equipped to handle complex challenges on projects. We provide a working environment whereby people are able gain the necessary experience that enables them to grow in their profession.
We are seeking an enthusiastic person with excellent interpersonal skills to join our growing team as a full-time Senior Engineer at our Sydney CBD office.
The Senior Civil Engineer works in the Civil and Water Engineering team at Warren Smith & Partners Pty Ltd and generally has a minimum of 8 years’ relevant post-graduate industry experience. The Senior Civil Engineer will be able to work independently through substantial tasks under the overall supervision of the Director of Civil and Water Engineering and Project Managers.
- Civil Engineering degree or equivalent;
- Minimum 5 years’ post graduate experience;
- Ability to be registered as minimum C2 designer as per the Sydney Water competency standards;
- Intermediate/advanced AutoCad capability and 3D terrain modelling software (12D or AutoCAD Civil 3D)
- A good understanding of pipeline hydraulics related to sewer and water systems (pumped and gravity) and application of the relevant WSA and other industry design codes;
- Experience in delivering detailed designs and construction documentation, including managing a design team;
- Good oral and written communication skills with use of Microsoft Office programs (Outlook, word, excel, powerpoint etc)
- Be Sydney based;
Responsibilities of the Senior Engineer:
- Management and delivery of key projects including managing clients, staff and sub-consultants.
- Regular reporting and liaison to the Director – Civil and Water Engineering and project managers.
- Attend internal weekly project meetings to report on the progress of the projects.
- Take instructions from the Director and other assigned senior staff.
- Advise on operational improvements and manage quality control of outputs.
- Ensure activities comply with organisational requirements for quality management, legal stipulations, and general duty of care.
- Design civil and water works including sewer, water and stormwater infrastructure for all types of developments including transport, residential, commercial and industrial.
- Brief CAD and design staff on the project requirements and ensure that the drafted design is fit for purpose.
- Interrogate design solutions to ensure full compliance with codes, standards and project briefs.
- Facilitate co-ordination meetings and resolve design issues between the relevant design team members.
- Write concise project communication and design reports.
- Assist in the financial management of projects including forecasting, invoicing and monitoring costs.
- Utilise company platforms including Confluence, Trakstar and Synergy.
- Mentor staff in a constructive way by providing feedback to develop skill sets.
- Work within the project design budget/programme and advise the director if there is a risk of not meeting the budget targets.
- Attend site inspections, review contractors work and prepare site inspection reports.
- Continue to further educate and attend training sessions as required.
Personal characteristics required for the Senior Engineer:
- Ability to work independent and inquisitively.
- Participate in a positive team culture.
- Passion for self-development within the field of water engineering (sewer, potable water and stormwater);
- Taking initiative and having a proactive approach in solving project challenges;
- Good project management and communication skills
- Centrally located and easily accessible from all areas of Sydney.
- Positive culture within a growing team.
- Opportunity to work on state significant projects and on a wide variety of projects.
- Supportive environment where you can develop your career further through structured and on the job training.