Marine or Freshwater Ecologist
Advertiser: Wild Environmental ConsultantsMore jobs from this company
- Job Listing Date
- 30 Oct 2020
- Northern QLD
- Work Type
- Full Time
- Science & Technology, Environmental, Earth & Geosciences
About the business
Wild Environmental is a Townsville based, environmental consultancy committed to delivering a highly valuable experience for clients in Regional Queensland. As a result of delivering over 150 projects in four short years and our rapid growth, we are looking for a Marine or Freshwater Ecologist to join our team.
Wild Environmental provides a diverse range of professional environmental services to the mining, aquaculture, construction, transport, agriculture, and tourism sectors.
The company offers a comprehensive suite of solutions across environmental approvals and compliance, ecological investigations, and land resource management, with a team of experts covering disciplines including ecology, water, soil, air, and marine sciences.
About the role
You will be joining Wild Environmental’s existing Marine and Aquatic Resources Team who conduct marine ecology surveys in coastal and marine environments of Queensland. The team is responsible for conducting monitoring and reporting for industry on receiving environments for point source discharges, assessing impacts to fish passage, coastal development impacts, and various aquatic studies.
This role involves providing assistance to the existing team of marine and fisheries specialists by supporting them in undertaking fish ecology surveys for waterway barrier works, stream and fish habitat assessments, water quality monitoring, macroinvertebrate sampling and/ or identification and other relevant studies.
The role involves both significant amounts of field work as well as commensurate time in the office including reporting, scientific writing, and environmental impact assessment in a professional corporate setting.
This role is suited to candidates who are experienced in undertaking high-quality marine and/ or freshwater ecological and water quality assessments. As a freshwater or marine ecologist, you should be familiar with undertaking studies in remote locations and in adverse conditions.
This role would suit someone with either a consulting or regulatory background with demonstrated knowledge of how governments assess development projects, especially as they relate to fisheries, marine plants, or environmentally relevant activities.
Ideally, you should have diverse industry exposure across one or more of the following sectors: mining, agriculture, transport, infrastructure, renewables, aquaculture.
Applicants should meet the following mandatory requirements:
- Tertiary qualification in aquatic ecology, marine science, fish biology, aquatic resource management, or another related field;
- A minimum of two (2) years of relevant professional experience.
Skills and experience
The role requires demonstrated experience conducting the following types of surveys, including but not limited to:
- Water quality sampling and monitoring;
- Fish community assessments, surveys, and ecology;
- Marine plant and mangrove surveys;
- Sediment quality;
- Aquatic and/ or marine macroinvertebrates; and
- Preparing high quality scientific reports and assessment of environmental impacts.
How to apply
If the above description sounds like you, apply by COB 13 November 2020 with:
- a covering letter outlining your demonstrated experience and suitability for the position; and
Should you have specific questions prior to applying, please email email@example.com. Please do not forward applications to that address.
- Which of the following statements best describes your right to work in Australia?
- Have you completed a qualification in science?
- Do you have technical writing experience?
- What's your expected annual base salary?