Crop Care Technician - Cannabis
Advertiser: Murray Meds Pty LtdMore jobs from this company
- Job Listing Date
- 16 Nov 2020
- Mildura & Murray
- $50,000 to $54,500 including superannuation.
- Work Type
- Full Time
- Farming, Animals & Conservation, Horticulture
Murray Meds is positioned in the Swan Hill region in Victoria, and is a licenced producer of medicinal cannabis. We are a pioneering company, supplying Australian patients with high quality medicine. We are looking for people to join our expanding team, with opportunities to grow and develop your career in this exciting industry.
The position is mostly physical and you must be able to conduct the following physical tasks:
- Constant standing and walking
- Frequent and repetitive bending, neck movement, climbing, pushing/pulling
- Frequent lifting of various weights and volumes
- Continuous gripping action
- Occasional reaching above shoulder
- Working in a range of weather conditions, including heat
Your main responsibilities will be to care for the crop during its life cycle:
- Propagation and Planting – Sowing from seed and planting seedlings
- Cloning – Taking clones from our mother stock
- Pinching/Topping – removing the apical meristem from the crop to increase axillary meristem growth
- Staking – applying stakes to the crop to support the plants' growth
- Trellising – applying trellis to the crop to support the plants' growth
- De-leafing – removing fan leaves at set intervals to improve the growth of the plant
- Pruning – removing undesired meristems from the plant to promote desirable plant structure
- Harvesting – careful removal of the crop and trimming the plant to specifications
- Drying and curing – drying the crop to meet customer expectations
- Packaging – packing the crop into final packaging, ready for despatch
- Watering and fertigation – under direction, watering and fertigation of the crop
- Crop registration, scouting and monitoring
Other farm related tasks are a substantial part of the role, including:
- Under direction, instruct teams to carry out farm work processes
- Operation of all farm machinery
- Maintenance of farm structures and equipment
- Waste management – managing farm waste correctly
- Report farm infrastructure maintenance issues as they arise
- An advocate for workplace health and safety
- GMP/GACP documentation and compliance
We are looking for the following competency requirements in our new team members:
- Able to follow instructions and work unsupervised
- Motivation & initiative
- Planning & organisational awareness
- Safety awareness
- High attention to detail
- Quality orientation
- Team player
- Excellent English written and verbal communication skills
- Basic numerical and data entry skills
- Valid driver’s licence
- First Aid – highly regarded
- Horticultural experience - highly regarded
All applicants must meet the Office of Drug Control's Suitable Staff guidelines.
All applicants must provide a cover letter as part of their application, addressing their suitability for the job.
The hours required will vary throughout the year. Propagation and harvest times are particularly busy, and the winter period is quieter. This is a salaried position; we do this to ensure job security for those who would like to work in agriculture but without the worry of short-term, seasonal work.
Thank you to recruiters for not contacting us.
- Do you have a current Australian driver's licence?
- How much notice are you required to give your current employer?
- Are you available to work outside your usual hours when required? (e.g. weekends, evenings, public holidays)
- Are you willing to undergo pre-employment drug and alcohol screening?