Advertiser: International Organization for Migration (IOM)More jobs from this company
- Job Listing Date
- 13 Jan 2021
- $60,000 - $74,999
- Work Type
- Full Time
- Administration & Office Support, Administrative Assistants
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title: Administrative Assistant
Duty Station: Canberra, Australia
Classification: General Service Staff, Grade G4
Type of Appointment: Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: January 26, 2021
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (COM) for Australia; Coordinator & Advisor for New Zealand, Papua New Guinea and the Pacific and direct supervision of the National Head of Resource Management, the successful candidate will provide general administrative support in the mission.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Perform receptionist function such as screening and receiving visitors; answering telephone calls with tact and discretion; scheduling meetings and appointments; answering queries and/or redirecting visitors and callers with diplomacy and courtesy; obtaining background information on the purpose of appointments.
2. Organize incoming and outgoing mail and courier. Receive, screen, track and distribute incoming correspondence such as deliveries and emails; and forwarding to the staff concerned, drawing their attention to specific issues/problems as necessary.
3. Draft replies to general and administrative correspondence on the basis of instructions.
4. Assist with staff visa applications, update visa status, prepare note verbal of foreign officers and visitors as required.
5. Provide assistance preparing travel expense claims for IOM Australia, supporting preparation and coordination of travel requests, make hotel reservations, prepare travel files and deal with other related matters as requested including processing security clearance of staff and visitors.
6. Organize the Mission’s filing system on general information/agreements.
7. Act as the custodian of the office petty cash and performing related data entry. Undertake small office supplies purchases.
8. Ensure office maintenance including organizing repairs to office equipment and machinery. Ensure the reception area, conference room, public areas are kept neat and tidy.
9. Act as the custodian of the office vehicle key. Monitor vehicle logbook and undertake mileage reconciliation.
10. Assist in updating social media for IOM Australia; coordinating with the Human Resource and the IT Assistant to regularly update the IOM webpage.
11. Co-ordinate with IOM Australia and Pacific staff, and Programme Support Unit (PSU) to collate, edit and publish stories and updates for newsletters, social media, and the IOM website.
12. Assist implementing and updating, in coordination with the COM and the staff members of the Communication Group, the IOM Australia Communications Strategy.
13. Support the office with general administrative duties such as newsletter dissemination, assist with organizing functions and events, note taking, update/maintain telephone list/key contacts of the Mission, etc.
14. Assist with general resource management tasks as may be required.
15. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University degree in Business Administration, Social Sciences, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- Completed High School / Secondary school education with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in general office administration functions.
- Experience in a customer service-based role
- Experience in social media and with marketing events and/or outreach events including the development of promotional materials.
- Strong multi-task prioritization, organizational, coordination, attention to details and time management skills;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, including Excel, Word, Sharepoint, Good knowledge of information technology;
- Knowledge of IOM/UN regulations, policies and procedures will be an asset.
Fluency in English is required.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
A prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station and work permit, as applicable.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Canberra, Australia on the respective closing date. No
late applications will be accepted.
How to apply:
Interested candidates must submit 1) a duly completed IOM Personal History form 2) CV and 3) cover letter to HRCanberra@IOM.INT [link removed] by 26 January 2021 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
The IOM Personal History form can be downloaded from this link: http://australia.iom.int/join-our-team [link removed]
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
From 13.01.2021 to 26.01.2021
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.