Advertiser: The University of Newcastle3.1724 out of 53.2 overall rating (58 employee reviews) More jobs from this company
- Job Listing Date
- 14 Jan 2021
- Newcastle, Maitland & Hunter
- From $89K base + 9.5% super
- Work Type
- Accounting, Financial Accounting & Reporting
- Manage the University's fixed asset register and capital works in progress accounts
- Seeking senior accounting experience (five years or more) – immediate start
- Six-month fixed term role based on Callaghan campus
Look to the future
The University of Newcastle stands as a global leader distinguished by a commitment to equity and excellence. Our vision is to be a world-leading University for our regions and creating a better future for our regions and the globe. Underpinned by this vision are our values of excellence, equity, engagement and sustainability.
Be challenged and imagine with us
In this role you will be responsible for the financial management of the University's fixed asset register and capital WIP accounts. You will use your technical accounting knowledge and experience, and apply University policies and procedures to capitalise, depreciate, dispose, and transfer assets purchased and constructed by the University.
The role is part of a small Asset Accounting team and requires engagement with numerous stakeholders across the University, supporting the process of applying University policies to capital purchases.
The role reports to the Group Finance Manager and is offered on a full-time, six-month fixed term contract we are looking to fill immediately.
What will you do?
- Apply University policies to ensure the appropriate financial management of the University's vast amount of fixed assets,
- Liaise with stakeholders across the University to advise on and monitor capital purchases and asset construction projects,
- Process asset register depreciation, capitalise new assets and manage external valuations to ensure the University maintains sound financial management of its fixed assets and adheres to relevant accounting standards,
- Identify and promote continuous improvement across the team and business unit, working collaboratively with colleagues and external stakeholders to generate efficiencies and improve processes.
- You will have a degree in accounting/business or equivalent or an equivalent combination of relevant experience and/or education/training,
- Have advanced Microsoft Excel skills,
- Be able to communicate financial information and accounting concepts to non-financial leaders and other stakeholders,
- Possess a minimum of five years of senior accounting experience, preferably with direct asset accounting experience,
- Have outstanding communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to influence decisions by senior management regarding asset accounting,
- Possess a hard-working attitude and desire to identify and implement process improvements in day-to-day processes.
Why commit to us?
The University of Newcastle is a Top 200 University in the world by QS World University Rankings 2021and a Top 10 University in Australia.
The remuneration for this position is from $89K base + 9.5% superannuation and is commensurate with experience.
We provide opportunities for all people regardless of their background and experience, and this philosophy is reflected across all that we do.
Let's create this future together. Here's how to join us:
- Click on 'Apply for this job'. Your application will be assessed on three essential criteria. Read all information about the role so you understand what is required. In addition:
- Follow all directions and complete necessary fields of the application; and
- Address the following three essential criteria. In your response, clearly demonstrate how your skills and experience meet each point (maximum of two pages, not including resume).
- Demonstrated ability to apply analysis, reconciliation, and technical judgement to accounting standards and policies.
- Demonstrated experience identifying and implementing significant process improvements within a finance function.
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills including the ability to communicate financial information and accounting concepts to non-financial stakeholders.
Applications for this position will only be accepted from those with Australian residency or a valid work permit.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander applicants are encouraged to apply.
We are excited to be Looking Ahead with you