Animal Technician or Attendant
Advertiser: Centenary Institute3.125 out of 53.1 overall rating (8 employee reviews) More jobs from this company
- Job Listing Date
- 14 Jan 2021
- Sydney, CBD, Inner West & Eastern Suburbs
- Work Type
- Full Time
- Science & Technology, Laboratory & Technical Services
Who We Are
The Centenary Institute is a world-leading independent Medical Research Institute. Our strength is in uncovering disease mechanisms and applying this knowledge to improve diagnostics and treatments for patients and find cures for some of the most chronic diseases affecting today’s society.We continue to build on our skills by focusing on and enlarging our research efforts in three key areas: cancer, inflammation and cardiovascular disease.
Applications are invited from motivated individuals who want to work with laboratory rodents in a medical research environment. We are seeking a full time animal attendant or technician commensurate on experience.
Duties common between the two roles will include cage and room hygiene, cage wash, preparation of materials for sterilization, glassware, routine mouse husbandry and other duties as required. This is a busy role, requiring repetitive lifting and is ideally suited to an active, enthusiastic person. The animal technician role will require more specialised tasks including sample collection, breeding and staff training.
The essential skills for this position include:
- Concern for animal welfare
- Enthusiasm and self-motivation
- Ability to work on your own and as part of a team
- Excellent communication skills
- A demonstrated commitment to Work Health and Safety
In addition to the above, the animal technician will require:
- Minimum 2 years working in a laboratory animal facility
- Tertiary qualifications in animal science or technology (TAFE or university)
- Demonstrated experience managing transgenic and knockout mouse breeding colonies
- Experience in mouse biomethods including sample collection and administration of substances
Why work for Centenary
- World renowned Medical Research Centre
- Affiliations with Sydney University and Royal Prince Alfred Hospital
- State of the art facilities in the heart of the Inner West next to Uni Campus with coffee machine, break out areas and in walking distance of shops, cafes and parks
- Salary packaging options
- Supportive team environment and the opportunity to work with some of the leading Researchers in the Country
Salary will be dependent on qualifications and experience of the successful candidate.
To apply for the role: please apply your application to through the Seek link provided.
Applications must include:
- covering letter addressing the essential skills,
- curriculum vitae (CV) including academic transcript, and
- full contact details of at least three recent professional referees
Applications close: 10th February 2020
Centenary Institute of Cancer Medicine And Cell Biology is a centre of excellence in medical research affiliated with the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital and the University of Sydney located at Camperdown.
For more information about Centenary please visit our website www.centenary.org.au
The Centenary Institute supports The Centenary Institute supports Equal Employment Opportunity. We value diversity and encourage applications from women, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders, people with disability, LGBTIQ individuals and applicants of diverse cultures and ages.
Right to live and work
You must have the right to live and work in this location to apply for this job.