A rare opportunity to join as the Principal to Australia’s most highly regarded and only independent higher education provider offering courses in agriculture, agribusiness and equine management. This role will see the successful candidate lead a progressive institution dedicated to educating and motivating students to excel in the national and global agriculture sector.
- Permanent role located at the college’s 200ha freehold campus in Geelong
- Opportunity to make a real difference to the future of agriculture
- Down-to-earth, friendly and collaborative culture
- Competitive salary package including a near new architecturally designed home situated on-site
Marcus Oldham is searching for an experienced leader to head Marcus Oldham College. Reporting to the Chairman of the Council you will be responsible for the success of the college, maintain and build on the unique culture of the college and coordinate the strategy so that the students and lecturers are continually motivated by the curriculum.
Marcus Oldham has a strong balance sheet with no debt. It has exceptional depth in staff knowledge and abilities, strong enrolments, and reputation.
The Company & Values
Marcus Oldham is the only independent higher education provider in Australia offering unique courses specialising in the business principles and skills needed in agriculture, agribusiness and equine management. The Institution has been operating since 1962. In 1998, Marcus Oldham offered its first higher education program. Since that time, the College has made a conscious decision to progress and further develop the institution as a quality higher education provider.
Marcus Oldham offers both undergraduate and postgraduate courses. The agriculture program comprises a Bachelor of Business (Agriculture). The undergraduate Agribusiness Program consists of a Bachelor of Business (Agribusiness) with a nested Diploma of Agribusiness. A one-year Diploma of Equine Management is also offered. A distance education online program is delivered comprising a Master of Agribusiness with a nested Graduate Certificate of Agribusiness.
Marcus Oldham prides its success on its people. Marcus Oldham connects people from every State across Australia, from different farming systems, enterprises and communities. Once you become part of the Marcus network, you will find that wherever you go throughout the country, cities and overseas, you will find Marcus graduates achieving great things.
The role will be predominantly based at the college in Waurn Ponds. You will be required to travel to events and seminars outside of Geelong approximately 10% to 20% of your time. Reporting to the Chairman of Council your responsibilities will include (but not limited to) the following activities:
- Be the leader of the college, walking-the-talk of the distinctive culture that Marcus Oldham has
- Work with the Chair of the College Council and other Council members to ensure that all work positively impacts the objectives of the College
- Continue to develop and build a strong partnership between staff and students of the college
- Maintain strong links with industry on a national and international level. This will include attending events and seminars
- Keep up to date with the Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency ensuring compliance
- Attend on site events as the face of Marcus Oldham building connections with staff, students and parents of students
- Staff management through empowerment and ongoing support
- Continued student support and guidance as a way to positively influence and mentor
- Manage and address any issues relating to student behaviour
- Create an environment that celebrates continuous learning and development
- Actively participate and present at regular Council meetings and sub-meetings
- Maintain and build on strong relationships with the Alumni community
- Take an active role in the student enrolments including marketing through events, interviews and orientation
- Manage the staff and student satisfaction survey in partnership with appropriate staff (on a twice yearly basis)
Skills & Experience
The role will ideally suit someone who is passionate about agriculture and providing the best education to advance its future. The successful candidate will be commercially astute with an ability to apply a positive and contagious enthusiasm with a willingness to perform a variety of duties coupled with the following experience and attributes:
- Passion and interest in education, people and agriculture
- A person of exemplary character and disposition whose judgments are respected in the school community and beyond
- Relevant qualifications in education, business or agriculture coupled with 15+ years’ commercial experience
- PhD or masters in a relevant field preferred but not essential
- Extensive executive-level experience with a strong network of decision-makers advantageous
- Effectively juggle business strategy with a pragmatic ‘hands on’ practical approach and ability to work collaboratively
- Ability to maintain discretion, diplomacy and confidentiality at all times
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the proven ability to build effective relationships and communicate with a diverse range of people both internal and external
- Customer service focus and recognition that people are our most important assets
- Ability to budget and work within a budget
- Superior attention to detail, organisational skills and capabilities in terms of prioritising work and meeting deadlines
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- A self-starter with the ability to take initiative and work efficiently
- Technologically savvy with advanced skills in MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Ability and willingness to travel for events, seminars and any other reason
To attract the best candidates, Marcus Oldham is offering a competitive remuneration package and the chance to change the future for agriculture through its people. If you are passionate about what you do and looking to make an impact in agriculture - this could be your next role!
How to Apply
Please apply with your CV and a brief cover letter addressing the following key points:
- Your background and interests/qualifications – making you the right person to lead the college.
- Something unique about your background and experience that you would bring to this role and the Marcus Oldham community
* Please Apply Through the SEEK Portal. If you have any specific questions, please address them to Kate at email@example.com
Applications close on 26 May 2021, although we will be shortlisting and interviewing candidates as they apply.
** Unsolicited CVs from agencies will not be accepted.
- Which of the following statements best describes your right to work in Australia?
- How many years of people management experience do you have?
- Are you available to live on-site for the duration of this role?
- What's your highest level of education?
Report this job advert
Learn how to protect yourself here.