“We build authentic and vibrant experiences that connect local food and beverage producers with people”
Harvest is a multi-award-winning, weekly experience where visitors can purchase a wide selection of fresh and delicious Tasmanian made and grown products directly from the growers and makers.
Regardless of weather, locals and visitors alike flock to this vibrant event, directly contributing $5M each year to local food businesses, which corresponds to an indirect economic contribution of at least $15M. Harvest is a breeding ground for collaboration and innovation and there are many exciting opportunities underway including our new community stage and air-screen events plus projects to bring us closer to our goal of zero waste.
The Harvest Board invites suitable candidates to apply for the role of Chief Operating Officer (COO) of Harvest Launceston.
This dynamic role entails the following core responsibilities:
- Oversight and implementation of the annual strategic plan
- Supporting the Board by providing assistance with the:
- Preparation of the strategic plan and its implementation through an operational plan
- Involvement in sub-committees and strategic projects
- Preparation of reports and recommendations for the Board, including submissions, minutes and other correspondence
- Oversight of the financial resources of the market including annual budgeting and monthly reporting
- Oversight of human resources, including supervision of direct reports (Market Managers) and their performance management, as well as management of a cohort of market volunteers
- Development and implementation of operational policies and procedures.
- Oversight of the weekly market logistics planning as well as planning and management for other ventures/events run by Harvest
- Ensuring compliance at all levels.
- Overseeing the development of marketing plans, campaigns and strategies
- Consulting, liaising, and where appropriate working in partnership with key external stakeholders.
- Undertaking the investigation and resolution of sensitive and complex issues or grievances.
- Actively participating in and contributing to the market’s Quality and Work Health & Safety processes, including related training, ensuring that quality and safety improvement processes are in place and acted upon.
- Monitoring of and application for available grants and awards that can support the development and growth of the market,
Applications are welcome from individuals with the following demonstrated skills:
- Planning, organisation and coordination, together with event, human resource and financial management.
- Highly developed strategic, analytical and creative skills including the capacity to research and investigate sensitive and complex matters and provide authoritative advice and recommendations.
- Strong liaison and consultation skills, with the ability to negotiate effectively with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Demonstrated high level written and oral communication skills, including the ability to prepare, present and evaluate reports and submissions and substantiate recommendations as well as undertake effective marketing campaigns.
- Proven ability to work constructively in the leadership of a high performing team and an ability to be adaptable and flexible in an environment subject to time and external pressures (such as weather).
Other desired attributes include:
- Self-Driven: the ability to work independently, with high levels of initiative and discernment.
- Market Knowledge: genuine interest in and knowledge of farmers markets and the broader agriculture and tourism sectors in Tasmania.
- Capable of working ‘on your feet’ for hours at a time
- Governance: Experience working with Boards
- Aligned with Harvest’s Core Values: Fun, Integrity, Collaboration, Innovation, Transparency and Accountability
Other position requirements:
- Comfortable in a flexible working environment.
- Currently residing in commuting distance to the Launceston CBD
- Current ‘C’ class driver’s licence.
- Current RSA certificate, or willingness to obtain.
- Current First Aid certificate, or willingness to obtain.
- Willingness to undertake food safety and cultural awareness training
Please note there is manual handling involved in this role and candidates may be required to undergo a pre-employment health check.
The Chief Operating Officer (COO) reports directly to the Board of Harvest Launceston Community Farmer’s Market.
Harvest Launceston believes in offering an inclusive and flexible working environment. This is a permanent position of approximately thirty (30) hours per week with hours and corresponding salary to be discussed as a mutually agreeable commitment between the employer and employee.
There is an expectation of the ability to work on Saturdays at the Market on a rostered basis (approximately 6am-2pm at least once per month).
Nominations for the position of COO are subject to the endorsement and approval of the Board in accordance with the organisation rules.
Please send your application to
Claire Holloway: firstname.lastname@example.org [link removed] including a brief covering letter addressing the competencies above and a short resume.
Applications close 5pm Wednesday May 12th 2021.
Report this job advert
Learn how to protect yourself here.