Minderoo Foundation is a modern philanthropic organisation. We take on tough, persistent issues with the potential to drive massive change. We incubate ideas and accelerate impact. We push the limits of what is believed possible. Minderoo Foundation is independent, forward thinking and seeks effective, scalable solutions. We are proudly Australian, and one of Asia’s largest philanthropies, with AUD $2 billion committed to a range of global initiatives. Our team comprises over 75 employees across seven locations.
The Minderoo OceanOmics program will create a world-class integrated ocean monitoring platform to inform decision-making in ocean resource and ecosystem management. Deploying a range of advanced molecular and genomics techniques that will be adapted or developed to monitor the planet’s oceans by sampling individual whole cells and cell-free genetic material from a range of marine habitats.
About the role
Based in Perth and in collaboration with other team members, the Senior Research Officer will drive and be directly involved in the development and implementation of novel cellular & molecular approaches for marine wildlife assessment and monitoring.
Under the direction of the OceanOmics Research Director, you will be responsible for the conception and execution of new experimental procedures, including experimental design, data acquisition, data analysis & interpretation as well as contributing to preparation of scientific publications and outreach material.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Contributing to the development of impactful and innovative research for the advancement of the research program.
- Development, delivery and evaluation of novel concepts and techniques in single-cell marine genomics, using flow cytometry and cell sorting technologies as well as high-throughput and single-cell sequencing.
- Communication of findings though the production of scientific papers, reports and outreach material.
To look at the full job description please check the link below:
To be considered for this position you MUST HAVE:
- Experience operating fluorescence-activated cell sorting (FACS) instruments, preparing samples for flow cytometry assays and conducting post-acquisition analyses.
- Strong technical, analytical, and troubleshooting skills in flow cytometry and cell sorting, including experience with complex, heterogenous samples.
- Experience in a variety of cellular and molecular techniques, particularly those applied to single cell genomics.
- A PhD in a relevant discipline, such as cell biology, molecular biology or marine microbiology; Or an equivalent combination of relevant experience and education/training.
- Experience working with cells derived from marine or aquaculture is highly preferred (although not essential).
Of vital importance is that you will be a solutions-oriented and self-motivated individual who will possess an abundance of positivity, initiative, and a passion for embracing our philosophy and living our values.
Are you resilient enough to bounce back up, dust yourself off and go again with enthusiasm and a never, ever give up attitude after being knocked back or pushed down?
Are you up for the challenge?
Please attach your resume and a 1-page cover letter highlighting your relevant expertise against the selection criteria.
Please note: Applications will close on 20/6/2021.
Minderoo Foundation embraces Equal Opportunity and promotes diversity. We actively encourage Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islanders, people of all backgrounds, ages, sexual orientation, and those with disability to apply.
- Which of the following statements best describes your right to work in Australia?
Report this job advert
Learn how to protect yourself here.