Day-in-a-Life of our IP Manager
The Nourish team has been very busy cracking an existential problem in the world today: how can we sustainably make plant-based meat and dairy alternatives taste like (or better than!) the real thing? We believe we have the right science-based solutions to the problem but we need help with managing the intellectual property we are generating and building a strong portfolio. We’re working with some of the best IP firms in Australia but also want to give greater internal focus to this area.
We want you to work with the rest of our executive team to:
- Build a comprehensive IP/patent strategy that complements our commercial and R&D directions.
- Understand the commercial and research plant-based food ecosystems and build IP landscape reports to identify and visualise gaps and opportunities.
- Produce FTO reports around relevant technologies.
We want you to work with our R&D teams to:
- Grow your knowledge of lipid bioengineering and yeast/fungal fermentation systems.
- Define experimental priorities with our internal R&D teams to support our IP strategy.
- Work with external R&D partners to identify and protect relevant information.
- Help our scientists prepare material for patent filing.
We want you to work with our IP firm partners to:
- Identify patentable experiments.
- Coordinate drafting of patents and manage patent submissions and prosecutions.
- Analyse extensive patent searches and assist in prior art and landscape analyses.
- A background in IP and patent management.
- A history of working with/for IP firms to build R&D and product patent portfolios.
- A background in biotechnology and/or downstream processing and food applications.
- Drive and enthusiasm and a desire to make a difference to the company direction.
- Excellent interpersonal and time management skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills – must be able to communicate clearly both within the organization and externally to drive projects forward.
It would be great, but absolutely not necessary, if you:
- Are a patent attorney.
- Have postgraduate qualifications in a field related to biotechnology.
- Have experience working in a startup team.
- Thorough and attentive to detail with strong analytical ability.
- A thoughtful and compassionate leader.
- A self-starter and can manage up as well as down with equal ease.
- A creative problem solver and fast mover, even in times of uncertainty.
If you do a good job:
The world is your plant-based oyster! This is an important role for Nourish and will pave the way for our continued growth. You will have the ear and attention of the CEO and play a key role in the growth and success in the company. We want everyone at Nourish to have equal access to success and joy, and this role will be integral in driving both of these things for the team!
- The opportunity to be part of something big as we set out to change the way the planet looks at sustainable, plant-based alternatives.
- A supportive and collaborative environment.
- Opportunities to collaborate with some of the world’s leading science, food technology, fermentation and synthetic biology organisations.
- Opportunities for meaningful ownership including equity ownership in the company.
**Maybe this role is not for you if:
- You need a lot of direction or a roadmap to start a project.
- Don’t enjoy the tactical and task-driven parts of the role.
- You are looking for a role with a specific reporting level or hierarchy.
- Prefer to have a role with specific focus. As a startup leader, you will need to wear many hats and get your hands dirty with tasks and projects outside of the traditional scope of this role.
Anywhere, Canberra preferred.
Here’s how to apply:
Send us your CV now along with a brief cover letter addressing the selection criteria and telling us why you are the best person for this job and why you want to work for Nourish Ingredients.
Need more convincing?
This is a unique opportunity to be part of solving real world problems and help spur the next era of alternative protein food production. Find out more about Nourish Ingredients here:
https://www.nourishing.io [link removed]
Position Enquiries: email@example.com [link removed]
- Which of the following statements best describes your right to work in Australia?
- How many years' experience do you have in intellectual property law?
- What's your expected annual base salary?
Report this job advert
Learn how to protect yourself here.