Doosan GridTech™ delivers innovative control and optimisation software and services to electric utilities, helping them turn distributed energy resources such as energy storage and solar PV into valuable contributors to grid reliability and economics. We aim to be the global leader in delivering technology solutions for the emerging digital, distributed grid, a critical component of the world’s clean energy future.
Doosan GridTech are seeking an experienced Director of Operations. Use your organisational, communication, and leadership skills to develop solutions that push innovative boundaries and help deliver next-generation distributed energy resource solutions, including energy storage and solar for the electric power system. A critical new position reporting directly to the General Manager, the Director of Operations provides overall leadership and strategic direction, work is closely with senior management to meet company objectives, and supports company revenue growth in a high potential clean energy economy.
We require expert customer engagement and listening skills, strong project management and engineering experience, and the ability to collaborate and build consensus. Job responsibilities and qualifications follow.
This position will be based in Melbourne, Australia.
Please note: only candidates with Australian Citizenship or Australian Permanent Residency will be considered for this opportunity.
- Superior knowledge of multiple operational functions and principles, including finance, customer service, production, and employee management
- Proven ability to plan and manage operational process for maximum efficiency and productivity
- Ability to streamline and implement new structures and roles that create speed, efficiency, and support rapidly shifting business demands
- Strong working knowledge of industry regulations and legislative guidelines
- Strong P&L experience
- Strong leadership skills, committed to creating high standards and an invigorating team dynamic that delivers value for customers.
- Strong project management and engineering experience.
- Experience managing teams in an engineering or technical operations environment.
- Experience working on electric energy and/or power systems engineering projects.
- Experience working in electric utility operations, engineering, or engineering design environment.
- Knowledge of utility scale energy storage systems and common industry operations standards and practices.
- Strong understanding of Operation and Maintenance (O&M) obligations.
- Understanding of Commissioning operations.
- Understanding of software development processes and techniques.
- Understanding of software support agreements.
- Understanding of IT infrastructure.
- Ability to work with a growing, fast-paced team to deliver customer value.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience with analytical reporting.
- Experience with public speaking and engagement management.
- Willingness to travel periodically.
Provide strategic direction and develop long term operational strategies to meet company objectives
- Develop, implement, and monitor day-to-day operational systems and processes that provide visibility into goals, progress, and obstacles for our key initiatives
- Build and maintain relationships with all department heads, external partners, and vendors to make decisions regarding operational activity and strategic goals
- Collaborate with senior level management in the development of performance goals and long-term operational plans
- Plan, monitor, and analyse key metrics for the day-to-day performance of the operations to ensure efficient and timely completion of tasks
- Maximise efficiency and productivity through extensive process analysis and interdepartmental collaboration
- Set strategic goals for operational efficiency and increased productivity
- Devise strategies to ensure growth of programs enterprise-wide, identifying and implementing process improvements that will maximise output and minimise costs
- Revise and/or formulate policies and promote their implementation
- Evaluate overall performance by gathering, analysing and interpreting data and metrics
- Uphold organisation policies and standards, ensuring legislative regulations are followed
Lead and manage Logistics, Software Delivery, ESS Project Delivery, and O&M departments
- Provide leadership and oversee daily operations of Logistics, Software Project Delivery (for Australia), and O&M across all projects, including training and quality control.
- Set FAST (Frequently discussed, Ambitious, Specific, Transparent) goals and objects, remove obstacles and provide coaching that develops all direct reports and results in retention and a motivated, high-functioning team.
- Provide guidance to multiple project managers on proposal analysis/proposal development, workload planning, project schedules, and cost/budget to ensure projects align with program capabilities and the overarching business objectives.
- Ensure coordination of multiple internal and external resources to support project managers with project deliverables.
- Establish a culture of safety and continuous improvement for project delivery.
- Cultivate a learning culture that delivers product improvements and product development ideas from current project delivery activities.
- Negotiate with external vendors and contractors on contract agreements.
- Hire and manage internal staff and contractors effectively.
- Communicate risks and benefits of all projects to executive leadership, after evaluation with other vertical stakeholders (Go, No-Go).
Manage project delivery operations
- Accountable for scope, schedule and budget of Australia energy storage projects and global software projects.
- Accountable for active project lifecycle from execution, assessment, final commissioning and turnover to the customer.
- Create resource estimates to deliver potential projects to support pricing.
- Lead cross functional project team meetings to identify opportunities and/or solve for problems to support defined plans.
- Maintain an up-to-date understanding of project status and communicate status within Doosan GridTech.
- Manage the interaction and resource planning between the project delivery team and the internal Doosan GridTech technical teams, including Engineering, Software Development, and ESS Commercial team to ensure internal technology is ready to support project deliverables.
- Manage supplier contracts, in collaboration with Contract Manager and Legal, including performance and risk management, to ensure that sub-contractors to Doosan GridTech support project delivery requirements.
Lead and manage Operations and Maintenance department
- Accountable for scope, schedule and budget of long-term service agreements.
- Provide leadership and oversee daily operations of O&M, across all on-going projects, ensuring internal and external resources deliver services to those projects on time and on budget
- Build an efficient O&M team, through strategic hiring of internal staff and external sub-contractors, and robust training and scheduling across all on-going projects.
- Work with O&M and Health and Safety team to implement Company safety program, and coordinate training for internal staff and external contractors.
- Collaborate with O&M Manager to improve operations by providing recommendations and feedback to support the implementation of continuous improvement activities, improve process and procedures to optimise results, and ensure alignment of service quality standards with company and customer requirements.
Manage key customer engagements and serve as project sponsor for all projects
- Serve as lead project representative on behalf of Doosan GridTech to the customer, including engagement with the customer’s senior operational leaders.
- Routinely communicate with customers to resolve issues and ensure project delivery will be successful. Oversee delivery of key project materials such as design documents, drawings, and manuals.
- Efficiently and effectively track, address and resolve escalated issues from project stakeholders, including engineers, clients, and regulatory agencies, throughout the life of active projects.
- Minimum 8-10 years experience managing large, complex EPC projects and people strongly preferred.
- BS or MS in Project Management, Business Administration, Engineering, Engineering Management, Engineering Operations or equivalent
- Advanced Project Management qualification preferred
- Certified Professional Engineer (PE) in any state preferred
More about Doosan GridTech
At Doosan GridTech, we believe that enduring economic growth and environmental healing start with a resilient, low-carbon power grid. We are a multi-disciplined team of power system engineers, software developers, and turnkey energy storage specialists. We help utility-scale power producers evaluate, procure, integrate, control, and optimize energy storage, solar power, and other renewable power resources.
Our battery storage experts in Seattle, Melbourne, and Seoul have designed, built, and provided flexible controls for nearly 35 installations in the Americas and Asian-Pacific regions – representing over 320MW of capacity.
Our parent company, Doosan Heavy Industries & Construction Co. Ltd., is a multibillion-dollar global conglomerate that serves power and industrial markets.
Doosan GridTech is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- How many years of people management experience do you have?
- Are you available to travel for this role when required?
- How far are you willing to travel for work?
- Which of the following statements best describes your right to work in Australia?
- How many years of business management experience do you have?
- How many years of project management experience do you have?
- Have you completed a qualification in science?
Report this job advert
Learn how to protect yourself here.