JOB DESCRIPTION: RESEARCH ASSISTANT / RESEARCH SCIENTIST
PYC Therapeutics is committed to solving one of the most challenging problems in pharmacology: delivering therapeutic molecules into cells. The group is collaborating with leading clinicians and researchers to achieve this goal. We invest in the best and brightest scientists and seek to create an environment of true and free-flowing collaboration.
Our ideal candidate will have at least 5 years of expertise in embryonic stem cell (hESC) or induced pluripotent stem cell (iPSC) culture, as well as experience in the differentiation of stem cells into neural derivatives. Knowledge of the retina is highly desirable. Knowledge of molecular techniques including RNA and protein extraction, RT-PCR and western blot is also highly regarded. The candidate should hold a Bachelor of Science (Honours) in relevant disciplines such as neuroscience, molecular biology, biochemistry, cell biology or immunology. We are looking for a self-motivated, independent thinker with the ability to set and execute project plans that progress the strategic goals and vision of the company. You must be able to work both individually and as part of a team and be highly organised. You must demonstrate great attention to detail, be able to multi-task parallel projects whilst meeting stringent timelines. A background in vision science, neuroscience and/or neurobiology will be an advantage in this position given the focus on drug development to treat neural cell types.
Applicants must demonstrate strong experience in stem cell tissue culture and neural differentiation. Additional demonstrated skills in molecular biology and quality control assays are highly desirable.
We are recruiting for a full-time position based in Perth, Western Australia. Only candidates with ongoing unrestricted rights to work in Australia may apply.
Applications close 20 October 2021
Applications MUST include:
- A statement addressing the selection criteria
- The applicant’s curriculum vitae
- The contact details of two current referees.
Selection criteria - Essential:
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) in relevant discipline such as neuroscience, molecular biology, biochemistry, cell biology or immunology
- Five years of demonstrated experience with stem cell culture and broad molecular biology techniques
- Demonstrated experience in biological assay development and optimisation
- Enthusiasm to work on commercially-orientated projects and willingness to work to stringent timelines
- Excellent computer, data analysis, written and oral communication skills
- Excellent analytical and organisational skills, and ability to maintain accurate research records (cloud based)
- Ability to work both independently and productively within a dynamic team environment
Selection Criteria - Desirable:
- Five years of experience in a research laboratory
- Expertise in mammalian cell culture
- Experience with experimental design and functional assay development
- Experience with complex in vitro models
- Flow cytometric experience
- Experience in molecular techniques including RNA and protein extraction, RT-PCR and western blot
- Experience with tissue fixation, sectioning and immunohistochemistry
- Experience in quality control assays
Duties will include:
- Cell culture; ongoing maintenance of iPSC and mammalian cell lines (cell lines, primary cells, patient cell lines)
- Generation of iPSC-derived derivatives to support program requirements
- Development and execution of in vitro assays
- Undertaking laboratory work consistent with PC 2 requirements and with the requirement of Good Laboratory Practice (GLP)
- Conduct background research as required
- Delivery of weekly communication updates to peers and management
- Assist with the preparation of publications and reports
- Refine and optimise current lab protocols and write SOPs in collaboration with other team members, as required
- Assist other team members with projects (demonstrate flexibility with regard to sharing their skill across various projects
- Analysis of data using statistical and database computer packages
- Independent day to day planning of research activities
- Maintain current knowledge of scientific literature relating to the project
- Have you completed a qualification in science?
Report this job advert
Learn how to protect yourself here.