ABOUT SMARTSAT CRC
The SmartSat CRC is a consortium of universities and other research organisations, partnered with industry, that has been funded by the Australian Government under the CRC Program to develop know-how and technologies in advanced telecommunications & IoT connectivity, intelligent satellite systems and next generation earth observation sensors & analytics.
Based at Lot Fourteen on North Terrace, SmartSat CRC is located at the heart of innovation, entrepreneurship, research, education, culture and tourism.
POSITION BROAD PURPOSE
The Operations Manager is primarily responsible for providing operational management for SmartSat and supporting the delivery of the goals and activities outlined in the Strategic and Operation Plans. This includes support for operational planning, budget and expenditure management for key activities, risk management processes and core information technology / systems and facilities.
There is a substantial emphasis in the role on research project management. These include project contract negotiations, particularly around matters pertaining to IP, and utilisation of project IP, and taking part in the management of projects, particularly the tracking of progress and project expenditure.
The role also carries significant communication and engagement responsibilities, requiring weekly contact and correspondence with various stakeholders (researchers, industry and government partners and SmartSat executive).
The successful applicant will have the ability to work with scientists, industry and government partners across a widely distributed (national and international) organisation network. They will have strong time management skills, and the ability to multi-task. They will form part of a small professional team, be able to show initiative and imagination, have the ability to meet deadlines and work both independently and with others.
This positions in initially offered as a one-year contract with the opportunity for an extension.
Key Responsibilities of the role
- Contribute to the development and implementation of the SmartSat strategic and operational plan.
- Establish best practice systems and procedures to improve the effectiveness of the Centres operations
- Management of research project contracts, funding agreements, and contract variations.
- Support the monitoring and evaluation of research projects in terms of project closeout, contract and finance arrangements, including updating the core company research management systems (mySmartSat).
- Support the COO in relation to management of the IP register, and consideration of commercialisation opportunities.
- Support the maintenance of the company project management and CRM systems.
- Support the development of workplace policies and protocols to ensure workplace safety and compliance with all relevant legislation.
- Provide high level advice to the COO, and the executive team on business issues, planning, and policy development.
- Oversee the physical infrastructure in the Centre, including space allocation and OH&S matters.
- Develop and maintain relationships with participants, business partners, government agencies, industry bodies and other key stakeholders.
- Monitor performance and prepare reports as required by the Commonwealth, the Board and the SmartSat Executive.
- Liaise with external suppliers to ensure the SmartSat IT systems and infrastructure is managed and maintained.
Required qualifications & experience
- Degree in business administration/finance/accounting/law; or extensive management experience; or an equivalent combination of relevant experience and/or education/qualifications.
- Project planning, budgeting, procurement and management experience, with the ability to work to deadlines, to work under pressure and to establish priorities, and remain composed.
- Demonstrated ability to assess business operations and initiate systems and procedures that will support effective operations.
- Demonstrated ability in the management and maintenance of project management systems, including the ability to report key information to a variety of stakeholders including boards, participants (or shareholders) and project teams;
- Knowledge of contracts and Intellectual Property (IP) management, particularly in research related fields.
Desirable qualifications & experience:
- Experience in a university or other large, complex organization at a mid- to senior level.
- Extensive relevant experience in efficiently managing and coordinating research and an understanding of research and/or higher education.
- Experience in the use of Salesforce; and
- Experience in the financial management of a business within a technology industry.
Please address your cover letter for the role to Andrew Beveridge, Chief Operating Officer on firstname.lastname@example.org. For further information about the position or the recruitment process, you can contact SmartSat on: email@example.com.
SmartSat CRC values diversity and inclusion and encourages applications from all ages and genders, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, culturally and linguistically diverse groups, the LGBTIQ+ community, veterans, people with disability and people seeking flexible working arrangements.
SmartSat recognises the importance of providing flexible work arrangements for all employees to achieve the right balance between personal and work responsibilities and encourages transparent discussion on such arrangements for the continued success of the organisation.
Employees of SmartSat must qualify to work in Australia. Successful applicants may be required to undergo criminal record check.
Applications must be submitted with the following to be considered for the role:
- Up-to-date resume
- Cover letter detailing your ability against the selection criteria.
Please include your salary expectation in the application.
Applications close: Monday 18th October
- Which of the following statements best describes your right to work in Australia?
- How many years' experience do you have as an operations manager?
- Which of the following Microsoft Office products are you experienced with?
Report this job advert
Learn how to protect yourself here.