ABOUT SMARTSAT CRC
The SmartSat CRC is a consortium of universities and other research organisations, partnered with industry, that has been funded by the Australian Government under the CRC Program to develop know-how and technologies in advanced telecommunications & IoT connectivity, intelligent satellite systems and next generation earth observation sensors & analytics.
Based at Lot Fourteen on North Terrace, SmartSat CRC is located at the heart of innovation, entrepreneurship, research, education, culture and tourism.
POSITION BROAD PURPOSE
SmartSat seeks to add a new member to its team to support the development and delivery of our research projects involving advanced satellite systems and payloads. Initially, the focus will be on the Kanyini (SASAT-1) mission but over time the work is expected to expand into other satellite missions.
A major focus of the successful applicant’s work will be working closely with the Kanyini Space Mission Director in the technical domains of data handling systems and data processing software, either onboard spacecraft or the ground segments of space mission. They will also work closely with the SmartSat Chief Research Officer to support space projects, and technical concept demonstrators.
During the development phase of satellite missions, the work will include test and validation of satellite-related systems, including Artificial Intelligence (AI) applications, that will be used or operated by SmartSat CRC or its partners. During the operations phase of the satellite missions the work will involve operations planning, satellite payload tasking, management of satellite-produced datasets, data processing, automation of processing tools and delivery of data and information products to end-users.
The work will also include technical support to the project management of future and ongoing satellite missions. This will include assisting mission coordinators and program managers to track timeline, scope, and budget as well as actions arising from Integrated Project Team and other meetings.
Where required, the employee will also be expected to provide support to the Research Program Management team with the set-up and oversight of projects across the whole range of research areas funded by SmartSat.
This positions in initially offered as a two year contract with the opportunity for an extension.
Key Responsibilities of the role
- Work with the Mission Coordinators, Integrated Project Teams and Research Program Managers, to develop and operate the data handling and processing systems for the Kanyini satellite and other satellite missions;
- Provide technical project management support for space projects, and technical demonstrators in particular, supporting program managers to track timeline, scope and budget;
- Build and maintain strong technical collaborations with a wide variety of project partners and stakeholders including spacecraft developers, space mission operators, developers of Earth Observation (EO) data processing tools and end-user researchers;
- Drive the completion of complex technical actions and deliverables with suppliers, partners and stakeholders;
- Support payload integration activities and perform test and validation of satellite related systems that will be used or operated by SmartSat CRC or its partners;
- Lead the technical interfacing with spacecraft operators to support satellite payload tasking;
- Manage satellite-produced datasets, data processing and delivery of data/information products to end-users, as well as the associated automated processing pipelines; and
- Undertake other duties consistent with the project conception, design, approval, reviews and variations of the SmartSat projects as required.
Required qualifications & experience
- Tertiary qualifications in an engineering or science and 2+ years of relevant work experience;
- Demonstrable experience working within technical teams to successfully complete complex projects;
- Demonstrated ability to prioritise tasks and work under pressure to meet deadlines;
- Highly proficient in the use of the MS Office suite and video conferencing tools; and
- Project management experience.
Desirable qualifications & experience:
- Masters degree or higher in directly relevant technical field such as aerospace engineering, electronics engineering, computer science or geospatial analysis;
- Demonstrable proficiency in one or more technical software development languages, e.g. Python, MATLAB, C/C++;
- Familiarity with space missions and systems;
- Experience in satellite operations;
- ICT networking or systems administration experience;
- Demonstrable proficiency using geospatial software products, e.g. ESRI, QGIS;
- Formal qualifications/certification in project management; or
- Hands on experience with electronics integration and testing, particularly for spacecraft equipment.
Please address your cover letter for the role to Andrew Beveridge, Chief Operating Officer on email@example.com. For further information about the position or the recruitment process, you can contact SmartSat on: firstname.lastname@example.org .
SmartSat CRC values diversity and inclusion and encourages applications from all ages and genders, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, culturally and linguistically diverse groups, the LGBTIQ+ community, veterans, people with disability and people seeking flexible working arrangements.
SmartSat recognises the importance of providing flexible work arrangements for all employees to achieve the right balance between personal and work responsibilities and encourages transparent discussion on such arrangements for the continued success of the organisation.
Employees of SmartSat must qualify to work in Australia. Successful applicants may be required to undergo criminal record check.
Applications must be submitted with the following to be considered for the role:
- Up-to-date resume
- Cover letter detailing your ability against the selection criteria.
Please include your salary expectation in the application.
Applications close: Monday 18th October
- Do you have technical support experience?
Report this job advert
Learn how to protect yourself here.