Martial Arts Club/Gym Memberships & Admin Assistant
Instructions for Application (if you do not do this, we will not consider your application):
- Submit a cover letter (or, if you're creative, a video!) and outline how you would help us achieve our three core promises.
- Read the position description carefully and understand hours, etc.
Pay: Level 1 Casual - Fitness Industry Award 2020 (from $24.80p/h)
Interviews: Early November 2021 / Start mid/late-November 2021
Reports to: Director of Martial Arts Programs
Hours: 4:30pm - 7:30pm Monday to Thursday, with 9:00am - 12:00noon on 1st Saturday of each month (Saturday is preferred, but negotiable/flexible).
Applications close: 31 October 2021 (or earlier if we find the right candidate - so don't wait to apply!)
About the Position
The role of the Membership and Administration Assistant will be as the first point-of-call for prospective member enquiries, and also operate as the receptionist during class operating hours, providing a welcoming face for students and members. The position will also help with general member management and the administration of our CRM.
The Assistant will be required to work three-hour minimum shifts on Monday through Thursday and on the first Saturday of the month (where possible). However, the right person for the role will accommodate occasional peak periods (not extending beyond 3:30pm to 8:30pm) and be flexible.
Our ideal candidate is a warm and welcoming person who respects our community and embodies the Centre’s promises (listed on page 2). The candidate should be able to work with children, teenagers, and adults of all ages and backgrounds and be committed to providing an outstanding experience to every member, while providing outstanding administrative support.
The candidate does not require martial arts training or experience, but will have a high attention to detail, exceptional customer service, and an ability to be self-driven and work towards helping improve the CMAHD.
- Opening the Centre at 5:00pm Monday through Thursday.
- Completing general administration and reception-based duties.
- Assisting with COVID-19 safety and health requirements.
- Responding to prospective student enquiries (by both email and phone) and booking them into a trial or answering any questions.
- Processing membership applications and setting up direct debits using an online portal.
- Communicating with members and parents, including answering administrational questions, to ensure their experience is positive and meeting the Centre’s three core promises).
- Helping facilitate events and facility access (occasionally on weekends) through planning, communication and execution.
- Monitoring stock levels and providing updates to the Director.
- Ensuring the Centre is ready for class operation, including cleaning duties (such as vacuuming, mopping, ensuring supplies are filled, and cleaning bathroom/washing up etc).
- Other tasks as assigned by the Director.
- Highly competent with Microsoft applications (primarily Word and Excel).
- Excellent time management and organisational skills, with a high attention to detail.
- Ability to use web-based applications and programs.
- A valid Working with Vulnerable People’s Card (ACT) or ability to apply for.
- Great communication skills, both written and verbal (over the phone and face-to-face).
- Experience in CRM software and payment processing software (eg Stripe).
About the Organisation
The Centre for Martial Arts & Human Development Incorporated (CMAHD) is a non-profit association in the ACT, and was originally established in 2009 to teach quality martial arts and self-defence in the Canberra region, and since then has now grown to offer a variety of programs from karate to functional fitness, as well as being used for external hire. The Cummings Karate Dojo, which is a part of the CMAHD, currently has around 300 students across a variety of programs (60% juniors, 40% seniors) and a community of more than 500 (including parents), and offers regular classes on Monday through Thursday and Saturdays, and occasional events on Sundays.
As an employer, we consider our instructors and staff to be more than employees—just like our students and parents—and to be a part of a community. We are supportive, understanding and caring. We are also flexible and considerate when it comes to ensuring a work-life balance.
The Centre maintains three core promises, which is to provide:
- A Quality Facility.
- Quality Experiences.
- Quality Instruction.
The Centre is committed to the development of its members and is dedicated to creating a community vibe within all programs. In 2019, our organisation celebrated its 10th year and has become one of the largest traditional martial arts (karate and kobudo) schools in Canberra.
We are looking to interview candidates in early November, with a flexible start of mid to late November, with a 2-3 week period where the new assistant will shadow our outdoing assistant. We reserve the right to employ the right candidate earlier than this.
Our Centre will be closed from Friday 17 December 2021 until Monday 10 January 2022. We can be flexible around the re-start in January if required.
Report this job advert
Learn how to protect yourself here.