Yarra Trams is proudly operated by Keolis Downer, the largest private multi-modal transport operator in Australia.
Since taking over the running of the network on 30 November 2009, we have improved safety, delivered record passenger satisfaction, and maintained punctuality during a period of unprecedented growth across Melbourne.
Our guiding principle is to ‘think like a passenger’. We focus on delivering safe, reliable, clean, and easy-to-use services. And we are committed to increasing the environmental, social, and economic contribution that Melbourne’s tram network makes to the city.
We work with the Victorian Government, Public Transport Victoria and other transport agencies and operators to provide a fully integrated transport service for the people of Melbourne.
Expressions of interest are now being taken for Tram Driver placements in 2022.
What does it take to be a Trainee Tram Driver?
To be a Trainee Tram Drivers you will need to be prepared to commit to the requirements of shift work which include:
- Being available to work full time 40 hours per week
- Being available to work a rotating roster that will cover Yarra Trams hours of operation
- Being rostered for shifts that have early starts or late finishes whilst working alone
- Working weekends and public holidays
- Completing successfully a comprehensive full time 6-10 week training program
What else is Yarra Trams looking for in a potential Tram Driver:
- Hold a full driver's licence for a minimum of 2 years
- Be medically fit to perform the functions of a Tram Driver
- To act and behave in a safe manner at all times adhering to the Yarra Trams safety standards. Prioritising personal safety and passenger safety always
- Proactively resolving passenger concerns, problems and requests to a satisfactory solution
- Following rules and standards always
- Making public address announcements to keep our passengers informed
- Following a timetable to ensure reliability
- Completing minor fault-finding activities in relation to the safe operation of the tram
- Maintaining a high level of concertation for extended periods of time and the ability to concentrate on multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Comply with all Victorian Chief Health Officer Directions regarding the COVID-19 Vaccination for Authorised Workers.
Why be a Time Tram Driver?
There are many reasons to be a Time Tram Driver in our great city and they include but are not limited to:
- Being connected to Melbourne through the sights, sounds and personal interactions of driving a Tram in our great city
- Sitting behind the controls of an iconic Melbourne Tram whilst driving through the city and featuring in tourists’ photos!
- Our training involves an initial comprehensive 6-10 week full time program where you will work closely with a Trainer to develop the skills and confidence in driving our Trams. Following this, you will be introduced to your manager who will coach and support you for a safe and successful career with Yarra Trams.
Does this appeal to you? The what are you waiting for? Apply now and complete our application form!
The selection process for this role will include pre-employment checks, including probity (police) and medical check (including COVID-19 vaccination status).
Yarra Trams is committed to creating a workplace that builds respect, promotes diversity and encourages inclusiveness. Our key pillars of Gender Diversity, Age Diversity, Cultural Fluency & Inclusion and Marginalised Community Support form our Diversity and Inclusion Strategy.
Report this job advert
Learn how to protect yourself here.