Based in Brisbane, Screen Queensland is the state government-owned screen agency that invests in production, talent development programs and screen culture festivals to grow a successful screen industry throughout Queensland. The agency supports locally produced films, series, and games. Recent games titles supported by Screen Queensland include 2021 AGDA Game of the Year Unpacking, Phantom Abyss, Damsel, Ardent Roleplay and Endless Runner X, as well as recently funded Cairns-based game Planetation. Screen Queensland also facilitates games-related workshops and initiatives, such as two full-time, year-long paid placements with Gameloft to commence this year. Screen Queensland also supports independent games studios via subsidised co-working space at the SQhub Brisbane and The Creative Hub Gold Coast.
The focus of the Games & SQhub Director is to develop and support the games industry in Queensland.
Screen Queensland is deeply committed to uplifting Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander voices and increasing diversity in all areas of the games industry.
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
The diverse Queensland screen industry will be transformed by 2028 into a global leader in which dynamic and growing businesses make quality screen stories and exceptional games for all platforms achieving economic, cultural, and social benefits for all Queenslanders.
This role will contribute to the delivery of Screen Queensland’s strategy by working to deliver responsive and quality investment services to Queensland’s games business community and international buyers and investors.
CONTRIBUTION OF THE ROLE
Priorities can often change in a fast-paced environment like ours, so this role includes, but is not limited to, the following key focus areas.
Market and Industry
- Contribute to development of SQ games strategy and related budget bids to the Queensland Government.
- Provide specialised support and access to Australian and international markets for games, including Games Connect Asia Pacific (GCAP), Penny Arcade Expo (PAX Australia) and the Game Developers Conference (GDC).
- Provide leadership and advice, as the primary contact, to a growing community of games practitioners and companies in Queensland.
- Make investment and other funding recommendations based on critical creative, budgetary, and scheduling assessment of applications.
- Oversee opportunities for talented Queensland-based games practitioners to gain on-the-job training and experience through working with local studios and games development companies.
- Facilitate the growth of Queensland games development companies and studios through the growth and development of professional networks in the games sector.
- Ongoing administration and facilitation of industry placements program and market opportunities.
Games Funding Programs
- Administration of games funding programs including applications, assessment, and approvals process plus the management of delivery of funded projects.
Management of the SQhub
- Manage a games-focused co-working space, in Brisbane, with dedicated programs for networking and skills development events and workshops to bring together the Queensland game development sector.
- Act as the games-focused leader to establish the SQhub as a focal point of the industry network, act as a point of contact providing information on SQ programs.
Work with the Content team and the wider SQ team to maintain, grow and share market intelligence, develop industry networks, and – with responsibility for tracking talent and projects – promote the Queensland games industry through those channels.
- Participate in and travel to key industry events as required.
- This specialist role and the program will be supported with guidance and partnership with the Interactive Games and Entertainment Association (IGEA).
- The screen industry, including games, is fast-paced and will continue to evolve. As such, the duties and responsibilities of this role may be changed as directed by SQ at any time to promote and support our business and relationships with industry partners.
- Have a minimum of 5 years’ professional experience in the games sector, delivering projects to budget and on time.
- Be a passionate player, comfortable with online communities and social media, with excellent communication skills, and with the ability to thrive in a highly dynamic environment.
- Demonstrate current knowledge of game development and financing.
- Events organisation experience would be desirable.
- The position is a 2 year contracted position.
- Have engaging and open communication skills, including an ability to engage with both creative and business-focused industry practitioners.
- Have a proven record to form and nurture relationships with stakeholders.
- A positive, can do and collegiate approach to work, a great attitude, and a willingness to work flexibly with the needs of fast-moving projects in a busy team.
It is vital that all Screen Queensland team members bring to their role, personal qualities and attributes that are consistent with the values and culture of the organisation. They will be passionate about the screen industry and the role that Screen Queensland could and does play in ensuring it adapts and thrives in changing times.
They will be committed to the success of the organisation and its work and encourage and actively participate in building a positive and constructive environment that uses success and learning to continually improve and push boundaries. They will be proactive, prepared, purposeful and organised while displaying a flexible and open-minded willingness to adapt to new environments and tasks. They will act and communicate with honesty, openness and generosity and consistency in the interests of the success of the project, the team and the screen industry.
More about us:
Screen Queensland is committed to an environment where everyone can contribute and thrive. We believe that the unique contributions of all our team members adds to our culture, we want to continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience by encouraging our people to bring their whole selves to work.
We are a dog friendly workplace and support flexible working arrangements and health and wellness benefits for all our employees.
We are an inclusive workplace that values diversity of culture, race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital, or disability status. We encourage and welcome applications from the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community.
Screen Queensland is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to all individuals participating in the application and interview process, and while performing the role.
Report this job advert
Learn how to protect yourself here.