REPORTING TO: Head of Learning and Support
APPOINTMENT: Part time, (0.4-0.8FTE negotiable), onging
CLASSIFICATION: PVCC Enterprise Agreement 2020
About the college
Plenty Valley Christian College is a kindergarten to Year 12, coeducational Christian College of approximately 820 students. We are one College with four sub-schools, Kindergarten, Primary Years, Middle Years and Senior Years.
The College is set in a beautiful rural area with spectacular views to the ranges. Plenty Valley is committed to developing high quality effective Christian education and is an active member of a national network of Christian schools in Australia known as Christian Education National. We are committed to the establishment of a close partnership with parents in the education of their children. Our aim is to offer quality education with a fully integrated Christian worldview, develop a strong sense of community amongst the students, parents and staff with every staff member playing a role in the pastoral care of the students. We use the respected Arrowsmith Program.
Skills and knowledge
Demonstrated specialist skills and knowledge
- Excellent teaching skills in literacy and numeracy
- Experience working with students with additional learning needs
- Understanding of the needs of students with additional learning needs
- Excellent people, communication and leadership skills with dynamic work habits
- Ability to manage time and planning and to organise own work, and that of others to achieve set and specific objectives in an efficient way and within resources available
- Ability to take on additional organizational and leadership tasks within the team a benefit
- Relate well with staff, students, parents and visitors
- Trustworthy and maintain confidentiality
- Interact with people on all levels and maintain a high degree of confidentiality
Qualifications and experience
- 4-year teaching qualification (special education qualifications desired by not essential)
- Certificate 2 in First Aid
- VIT registration
Key selection criteria
Staff at Plenty Valley Christian College are selected based on outstanding professional and personal qualities. Expectations include:
- A commitment to a relationship of faith and obedience to God, lived out both in personal and communal aspects of life – this would be evidenced by a clear understanding and acceptance of the redemptive work of Christ, a commitment to private and corporate prayer and Bible study, and regular involvement with a Christian church, community, or fellowship group.
- The ability to model the values and character qualities of biblical Christianity within the school community in line with the College’s Statement of Faith and practice.
- A demonstration of high standards of personal presentation, organisation, communication with other staff and parents, and in embodying the ethos and practices of the College.
- A clear sense of calling and desire to fully embrace working within a Christian environment.
- Demonstrated community and customer focus attributes, including the ability to respond promptly and courteously to a diverse range of service needs in a helpful manner.
- Able to work independently and as part of a close-knit team.
- Able to demonstrate initiative and have a solution focused mindset.
- Ability to manage time and prioritise tasks to achieve set outcomes
- Demonstrated knowledge of computer skills, including Windows, Microsoft Office, internet and email and be eager to learn other office software.
- Ability to provide information to a culturally diverse public.
- Current working with children check (mandatory).
- A strong commitment to developing and maintaining a Child Safe culture within the college.
To provide a high standard of teaching at Plenty Valley Christian College in accordance with College policies and procedures. To provide a high standard of learning support to both students and classroom teachers.
Key responsibility areas
- Liaise with teachers in the primary and/or secondary school section
- Teach within the learning support department, such as withdrawal intervention programs, in consultation with class teachers and the Head of Learning Support
- Organise and attend Education Support Group (ESG) meetings, with the Head of Learning Support, as appropriate
- Complete Individual Learning Plans (ILP) and support documentation, as appropriate
- Obtain parent permission for relevant paperwork, e.g. permission for diagnostic testing, as required and after consultation with Head of Learning Support
- Support/advise education assistants and teachers with ILP implementation
- Modify/differentiate curriculum, including alternative access and presentation/recording of work requirements
- Work with small groups of students for specific skills teaching, e.g. decoding skills, comprehension development etc.
- Complete assessments of students as required
- Assist in completing sections for funding applications as required
- Attend parent/teacher interviews twice yearly as invited by class teachers
- Advocate on behalf of students and teachers
- Maintain working documents, on SEQTA (management system) and in hard copy, for students, including relevant data for NCCD, as required
- Participate in professional development seminars
- Attend section meetings and morning briefing and/or teacher meetings as required
- Regular meetings with Head of Learning Support and team members
- Be available for school staff to discuss concerns and issues regarding students in their classes
- Input as appropriate to the development of the learning support timetable each semester
- Use data to inform decision making for interventions and support
- Write reports on student progress throughout interventions and/ or end of semester
It should be noted that this position description is not exhaustive, and the Head of Learning Support may, at their discretion, vary the responsibilities as operational situations, consistent with this position change.
Accountability and extent of authority
The Learning Support teachers at PVCC are accountable to Head of Learning Support and responsible for:
- Referring parent concerns/issues/complaints to Head of Learning Support
- All assessment and referral questions/requirements to be go through Head of Learning Support, e.g. WISC, Speech, OT, etc.
- Head of Learning Support will coordinate administration requirements for funding, correspondence with parents, permission forms, etc.
- Keep Head of Learning Support informed regarding changes to programs, issues, potential difficulties, etc, by email, phone or at weekly meeting
All staff are required to comply with all policies, procedures, and requirements for:
Risk management – report identified hazards that may pose a risk to employees or the public, and/or may give rise to an insurance claim, taking into consideration the risk for safety, security, vandalism, burglary/theft and fire/arson.
Occupational health and safety – take reasonable care to protect their own health and safety and the health and safety of others in the workplace – it is a requirement to immediately report any incidents, hazards or near misses to the relevant supervisor and actively participate in hazard elimination where required.
Equal opportunity – undertake work and activities in a manner that ensures the workplace is free from harassment, bullying behaviour and discrimination.
Code of conduct and dress code – comply with all standards.
The terms, conditions and other obligations of your employment are covered under the Plenty Valley Christian College Enterprise Agreement 2020.
To Apply for this position:
Applications should be emailed using the correct form “Employment Application Form“ located on the College’s website Work With Us - Plenty Valley Christian College - Private Christian School Melbourne (pvcc.vic.edu.au) to firstname.lastname@example.org , or by post to: Personal Assistant, Plenty Valley Christian College, 840 Yan Yean Rd, DOREEN 3754 no later than 5.00 pm Monday 25 October, 2021.
Applications will not be considered without the following three items completed.
1. Cover letter outlining your suitability for this position addressed to the Principal.
2. Completed Employment Application Form (from the PVCC website).
3. Current CV.
Report this job advert
Learn how to protect yourself here.