Who Are We?
At MCRI we share a powerful vision; to re-imagine the future of child health. We are the home to many life-changing scientific discoveries. We believe that no question is too impossible to try and answer. We are renowned for our cutting edge focus on early interventions, improved diagnosis, prevention and development of potential cures. Our success is founded on a philosophy of collaboration through a multi-disciplinary approach to solving the toughest questions in child health. MCRI is a proud member of the Australian Network on Disability. We are committed to creating a positive working environment which values all backgrounds and experiences. We strive to foster an inclusive culture that is underpinned by equal opportunity for all and a culture based on respect, consideration and dignity. Don’t take our word for it, check what our employees are saying!
We are seeking an enthusiastic Technical Assistant to join our MCRI Laboratory Support group. The Laboratory Support team provides core laboratory services to support MCRI researchers’ needs. It is part of the broader Scientific Services team which includes Flow Cytometry and Imaging, Biobanking, shipping of laboratory goods; and diagnostic and research Tissue Culture. This position involves general laboratory duties, production of buffers and solutions, general laboratory washing, maintenance of instruments, manual handling, chemical (including radio-isotopes), biological and GMO waste handling and disposal, preparing and handling of laboratory items for autoclaving. The Technical Assistant is required to be competent in aseptic technique, possesses good laboratory practice, and be able to work in a highly regulated environment.
Our ideal candidate will possess a friendly, helpful, patient, and careful nature who is willing to work energetically as a team member. The member of the Lab Support team will work in regulated laboratories that are accredited by OGTR, DAWR and Australian Standards. The ability to act as a team leader is highly desirable.
Your responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Maintaining the PC1 and PC2 laboratory facilities, isotope work area, Darkroom, Liquid Nitrogen facility and general work areas in accordance with current Radiation, OGTR, DAWR, MCRI EHS guidelines and Laboratory Essential Practices.
- Complying with OGTR, DAWR and the Australian Standards.
- Routinely decontaminate Incubators and BioSafety Cabinets.
- Ensuring adequate supply of general use laboratory chemicals and consumables.
- Sterilising glassware, other laboratory items and solutions.
- Assuring the efficiency of internal stores requests and collection and billing systems.
- Providing general laboratory washing services.
- Assisting with the disposal of chemical, bio-hazard, clinical and radioactive waste material.
- Certificate or Diploma in a related field.
- A strong work ethic, attendance, and punctuality.
- A willingness to take on ad hoc tasks as required or requested.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, the ability to relate to a range of positions and levels of staff
- Be motivated, able to establish priorities, set and maintain deadlines, with a demonstrated ability to use initiative.
- Familiar with Microsoft Office tools and other appropriate IT software and hardware.
- Ability to lead others and foster an outstanding team culture and environment.
What’s in it for you:
- Full Time Max Term Contract (Possible Extension).
- Attractive Salary $54,481 - $61,845+ Super
- Get The Full Benefits of Salary Packaging and Take Home Extra for the Things that Truly Matter.
- Flexible Working options also available.
For a full list of responsibilities and the key selection criteria download the position description.
Only applicants who address the key selection criteria will be considered. In one document please place your cover letter, key selection criteria, and resume. Applications will only be considered when submitted via the MCRI website.
For specific questions not answered in the PD please contact Matthew Burton email@example.com
Click apply to proceed with your application.
Closing Date: 28 October 2021
Position Reference : 30699
On occasions where we receive a large number of applications, we may close the advert ahead of the publicised closing date. We would therefore advise that you submit your completed application as soon as possible.
All applicants please be aware that in line with the Victorian Chief Health Officer’s Directions, all MCRI and VCGS workers must have received at least their first dose of a COVID-19 vaccination by no later than 29 October 2021 and be fully vaccinated by no later than 26 November 2021, unless a medical exception applies.
Applicants will be required to provide their Australian Government COVID-19 Digital Immunisation Certificate/s as part of our pre-employment requirements.
We encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, all members of the LGBTQI community and people with disability. Should you require any specific support or adjustments please talk to us and we will be happy to accommodate.
Report this job advert
Learn how to protect yourself here.