We encourage applications from Indigenous Australians, people with disability, people from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds, mature age workers and lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and intersex (LGBTIQ+) people.
The Department of Justice supports reasonable adjustment requests in any stage of the assessment process to remove barriers and facilitate full participation in all aspects of employment for applicants with disability. If you have individual requirements that need to be accommodated in order to participate in an interview or recruitment activity, please inform the contact person listed for this vacancy.
We are a diverse and inclusive workplace and understand the importance of flexible working arrangements. Talk to us about how this could work for you.
Hours per fortnight
73.50 hours per fortnight - flexible options available.
- To prosecute as Solicitor and Counsel allocated matters on behalf of the State of Tasmania, its instrumentalities and Agencies before the Supreme Court, Magistrates Court and Tribunals.
- To act as Solicitor and Counsel in such other litigious matters, including child safety matters involving the State of Tasmania, its instrumentalities and Agencies before the Supreme Court, Magistrates Court (all divisions) and Tribunals as may be allocated by the Director of Public Prosecutions.
- To assist more experienced legal practitioners in relation to complex, critical and novel criminal matters.
- Admitted or eligible for admission as a Barrister or Practitioner of the Supreme Court of Tasmania.
- Drivers licence.
The Head of State Service has determined that the person nominated for this vacancy is to satisfy a pre-employment check before taking up the appointment, promotion or transfer.
The following checks are to be conducted:
1. Pre-employment checks
• Arson and fire setting
• Violent crimes and crimes against the person
• Sex-related offences
• Drug and alcohol related offences
• Crimes involving dishonesty
• Crimes involving deception
• Making false declarations
• Malicious damage and destruction to property
• Serious traffic offences
• Crimes against public order or relating to the Administration of Law and Justice
• Crimes against Executive or the Legislative Power
• Crimes involving Conspiracy
2. Disciplinary action in previous employment.
3. Identification check.
Download the Statement of Duties and any Associated Documents
How to apply
Online applications are preferred, please click the blue 'Apply Now' button. You will be prompted to complete an online application form and to attach your cover letter, resume and selection criteria responses. Please note, attachments must be in Microsoft Word or PDF format.
Please note if you submit the details of your referees with your application the Selection Panel may contact them without notifying you.
Post your application with the following application form to:
Department of Justice
GPO Box 825
HOBART TAS 7001
For more information
Please note that applications to this vacancy will close at 11:55pm on Sunday, 24 October 2021.
Report this job advert
Learn how to protect yourself here.