About RSPCA Victoria
RSPCA Victoria is a non-government, community-based, not-for-profit organisation whose vision is ‘ending cruelty to all animals’. We are Victoria’s best-known and most respected animal welfare organisation.
Our organisation’s purpose is to work with the community to achieve outstanding animal welfare through education, advocacy, and animal care and protection. RSPCA Victoria’s values - clarity and accountability, respect and consideration, and expertise and collaboration - set clear expectations for all our staff and volunteers.
About the Role
We are currently recruiting an Animal Care Team Leader to join our Animal Care team in a permanent full-time capacity at our Peninsula site. Reporting to the Animal Care Supervisor, you will play an integral role in providing operational and team leadership for employees and volunteers in the provision of day to day care of animals in our shelters, contributing to the achievement of the best possible welfare outcome for every animal in our care.
Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Animal Care Supervisor, you will:
- Manage, lead and develop a team of staff and volunteers to the highest levels of performance, engagement and job satisfaction, in addition to performing operational Animal Attendant duties as rostered;
- Oversee and contribute to the daily management of animals of any species and across all parts of the shelter in a professional, timely and caring manner, including the effective management and resolution of escalated issues;
- Oversee and contribute to the observation, documentation and reporting of health and behaviour concerns of animals in our care, and supporting Veterinarians when required;
- Supervise and provide a high level of service to customers in the adoption, surrender and reclaiming of animals to enhance the reputation of RSPCA Victoria within the local community;
- Contribute to a positive and inclusive work environment by effectively communicating and working collaboratively with team members and peers across all departments, and consistently role modelling the RSPCA Victoria values and associated policies;
- Provide education, support and guidance to team members and colleagues regarding the application standard operating procedures to fulfil organisational and legislative requirements in the management of RSPCA Victoria shelters;
What we are looking for from you
- Previous experience in a people leader role is essential
- Previous experience in an animal care role, including extensive knowledge of animal anatomy, behaviour, disease recognition and safe handling is highly desirable
- Ability to work in a fast paced and challenging work environment, whilst showing great care and compassion to the animals in our shelter;
- Demonstrated experience working collaboratively in a team environment;
- The ability to work rotating rosters including weekends and public holidays.
- Holds or is willing to complete a Certificate II in Animal Studies (or equivalent) will be highly regarded.
- This also requires a valid Victorian Driver’s License, Working with Children Check, and current tetanus vaccination.
What we can offer you
- Encouraged work-life balance and a broad range of leave entitlements, including annual leave, personal leave, additional leave (6 days per year pro-rata), purchased leave, paid parental leave, study leave and paid family and domestic violence leave.
- Access to a range of mental health and wellbeing supportive initiatives, including confidential counselling services, education programs, access our Parents and Carers platform that has a wealth of resources to support working parents and carers.
- Generous discount on products and services, including Hill’s pet food, Hush Puppies footwear and RSPCA Victoria retail and vet clinic products and services
- Salary packaging and novated lease arrangements on offer with leading provider, Maxxia.
- Access to a range of learning and development opportunities that will benefit and support you in your role.
How to apply
To learn more about our organisation and this job opportunity, please visit our website at www.rspcavic.org and download the Position Description attached to this advertisement for more details. Alternatively, please contact our Recruitment team on firstname.lastname@example.org
If this role is of interest to you, submit your application with your cover letter and resume, addressing how you meet the selection criteria. Applications close on Friday, 29th October 2021.
RSPCA Victoria is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and we strongly encourage people from all cultural backgrounds to apply, including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. Applicants are welcome to access RSPCA Victoria’s Diversity & Inclusion Policy here.
Report this job advert
Learn how to protect yourself here.