The Gladstone Region is a dynamic Central Queensland coastal region that provides an enviable lifestyle and economic stability for more than 63,000 residents. Gladstone Regional Council is committed to a dynamic, proud and diverse future for the Gladstone Region that focuses on working together to balance our region’s lifestyle and opportunity. Our success is built on a foundation of safe, engaged, high performing talent and teams and a values-based culture centred around our SERVICE principles.
Council is seeking to appoint a Permanent Full Time Pound Officer to contribute to Council’s success.
About the Role
The purpose of this position is to support Council's legislative responsibilities in providing an animal impounding service and daily operation and general maintenance of an impound facility; liaison between nominated service provider for rehoming of suitable impounded animals promoting a positive image of Council to the community and provide support to the Local Laws Team as directed by Manager.
As a Pound Officer you will be responsible for –
- Work independently in undertaking all duties associated with the day-to-day operation of the Council Pound Facility, such as feeding impounded animals, cleaning kennels and cages, exercising of animals, scheduled maintenance of equipment and facility etc.
- Conduct behavioural assessments on impounded animals for rehoming and euthanasia decision making
- Assist with the euthanasia of animals
- Impounding and releasing animals in accordance with legislative requirements and Council procedures.
- Liaise with Rehoming Groups in relation to the rehoming of suitable animals.
- Attend animal collections for impounding
- Conduct investigations in accordance with the Animal Management Act and Councils Local Laws and other relevant legislation.
- Participate in Local Laws On-Call Roster
- Conduct education program within local Schools
Your success in this role will be demonstrated your ability to work independently for extended periods of time and also as apart of the Local Laws Team. You will be required to act impartially and make difficult decisions and have knowledge of animal behaviour, handling and welfare . You will have the ability to maintain professionalism in difficult/stressful situations and whilst dealing with difficult customers to achieve
1. Certificate III in Companion Animal Services (or other relevant qualification) with relevant knowledge in animal behaviour and husbandry.
2. Knowledge of the Animal Management (Cats and Dogs) Act 2008, Waste Reduction and Recycling Act 2011 and Environmental Protection Act 1994 with a basic understanding of Noise Management.
3. Demonstrable interpersonal and communication (verbal and written) skills and experience liaising with management, employees and external customers.
4. Proficient keyboard skills and experience using Microsoft Office Suite and operating corporate business systems.
5. Legally able to drive a motor vehicle in Queensland.
6. Work outside of normal hours as requested by Manager Local Laws as part of the requirements of the sections on call roster. May be required to attend to Operational taskings outside normal duties and as required by Manager Local Laws
Why work for GRC?
- We are fortunate to live in an attractive, growing region and proud to provide opportunity for personal growth and career development for our employees.
- We offer opportunities to grow your career within a progressive local government organisation and work in a high performing team that values your contribution.
- You will be rewarded with a competitive salary including generous superannuation and a flexible roster that supports a generous work-life balance.
- We offer a range of employee benefits including free physiotherapy, support services and discounted health cover and fitness memberships.
Please be advised that the preferred candidate for this position, as a condition of employment, may be required to complete a criminal history check, a pre-employment medical or a skills assessment.
Council is committed to connecting with the Gladstone Regional community which values diversity and inclusion and encourages you to bring your whole self to work. First Nations people are encouraged to apply.
12 noon Friday 29 October 2021.
Report this job advert
Learn how to protect yourself here.