Sitting in the middle of the Queensland coast, the Mackay region stretches from secluded islands off the coast through golden sand beaches and into lush sub-tropical rainforests. Sandwiched between the Coral Sea and the cane fields of the hinterland, Mackay is a stone's throw from the Whitsunday Islands and the region boasts the best of urban bustle and rural quiet. It offers a true sense of community, natural beauty, and enviable lifestyle. At Mackay Regional Council, we strive to make our region the best region for livability and livelihood and this is your chance to add to it.
An opportunity has become available for outstanding legal professional to join a vibrant local government organisation and to contribute to the Mackay Region during a period of growth and transformation.
You will be responsible for supporting the Senior Legal Counsel in providing timely, high quality and strategically aligned legal advice on behalf of Council as required, ensuring general legal compliance, and legal advice relevant to Council.
This position will contribute to Mackay Regional Council’s shared success through guiding strategic decisions based on legal analysis.
For the Legal Counsel role, you will hold a current practicing certificate from the Queensland Law Society or other Australian jurisdiction and demonstrate relevant expertise and experience. You will bring exceptional judgement, proven risk and reputation management, and impeccable integrity. Success will be achieved by working collaboratively with stakeholders to ensure Councils’ legal needs are appropriately considered and addressed.
To be considered you will be a team player who demonstrates:
- The ability to provide legal advice on complex legal issues and the taking of legal proceedings particularly in those areas of the law of importance to the local government.
- Sound ability to provide advice and planning in regard to legal risks and compliance as applies to Local Government/Council.
- High level of written and oral communication skills, interpersonal skills and personal qualities of excellence in the delivery of legal service, including tact, integrity and discretion.
- A commitment to supporting and driving a strong workplace culture
- Superior oral and written communication skills and customer service orientation
In return you will be rewarded with:
- Base annual salary from $89,546.05
- Up to 18% superannuation (conditions apply)
- Choice of 4 or 5 weeks’ annual leave with 17.5% leave loading
- Flexible working arrangements with a RDO
- Membership to lifestyle benefits program including corporate discounts
- Employee health and wellbeing initiatives
- Active social clubs and significant corporate and membership discounts
- Employee assistance program
- We’re bursting at the seams with career development and learning opportunities
For a Position Description and information on how to apply please visit https://vacancies.mackay.qld.gov.au/MRC_ER/VacancyList.aspx
To apply, you will need to submit a resume, cover letter outlining your experience.
Applications Close: 28th October 2021
We are an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer, where all applicants are treated with fairness and respect and have equal access to all opportunities available. At Mackay Regional Council, diversity is about creating a respectful and inclusive workplace that recognises the unique contributions and perspectives of our employees, working together to deliver extraordinary results.
Report this job advert
Learn how to protect yourself here.