Animal Health Australia (AHA) is the trusted and independent national animal health body in Australia, bringing together government and industry to deliver key animal health and biosecurity outcomes.
With our members we scan the horizon for threats and opportunities, advocate for and drive solutions and take a whole-of-sector approach to ensure the long-term success of Australia's animal health and biosecurity system.
ABOUT THE ROLE
AHA is seeking an experienced senior leader to join the Emergency Preparedness, Animal Health and Biosecurity team in the role of Head of Program, Animal Health, Surveillance & Monitoring, on a full-time, permanent basis. You will lead the Animal Health, Surveillance & Monitoring team and be an integral part of AHA’s Senior Leadership Team. This position reports to the General Manager, Emergency Preparedness, Animal Health and Biosecurity.
The successful applicant will be an exceptional leader and team builder and will be skilled in stakeholder relationship management. They will have an innovative approach to solving complex problems. The Head of Program, Animal Health, Surveillance & Monitoring is responsible for the performance of AHA’s surveillance project portfolio and will lead a small dynamic team focused on delivering great outcomes and value for our members.
You will also be a member of AHA’s Senior Leadership Team, who work closely with the AHA executive to operationalise our strategic plan. The Senior Leadership Team work together strategically to identify opportunities, efficiencies, and risks to AHA’s programs, and they role model the company values.
Key responsibilities include:
- Under the strategic oversight of the General Manager, lead the Animal Health Surveillance & Monitoring team, enhancing and developing their capacity and expertise
- Be responsible for the planning, development and delivery of programs and projects that will provide benefit and value to AHA, its members and key stakeholders
- Proactively contribute to AHA strategic and operational planning and ensure the alignment of activities to AHA commitments, programs, and budgets
- Grow AHA’s capability by providing coaching, communicating values and strategies, assigning accountabilities, appraising performance and providing appropriate development opportunities to staff
- Participate fully in the collective responsibility of delivering on organisational objectives, including through engagement and collaborative effort with employees at all levels in the organisation
- Collaborate with other AHA leaders to achieve organisational cohesion, the maintenance of a culture of continuous improvement, and the promotion and adherence of organisational values
- Utilise your qualifications and expertise to influence the narrative, and be a recognised thought leader in your field
- Allocate and monitor program resources and ensure that the General Manager is aware of budget variations, challenges, and opportunities
- Provide advice, regular updates, and reports to the General Manager and Executive Leadership Team including relating to people, project, financial, and risk management
- Demonstrate the AHA values in the daily approach to work and interactions with internal and external stakeholders
Total remuneration for this position is from $140,000 TRP (including super) and will be commensurate with the successful candidate’s level of experience.
BENEFITS AND PERKS
- Central location in Canberra ACT with spacious office.
- Free onsite parking and light rail station across the road.
- Flexible work conditions
- Training and development opportunities.
- Great office culture.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Superior written and oral communication and interpersonal skills including negotiating, presenting, active listening and the giving and receiving of constructive feedback
- Previous experience in a similar role with demonstrated ability to create collaborative and engaged teams that successfully deliver results within agreed timeframes and budgets
- Proven ability to have influence and impact within area of expertise
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships and networks within the company and with members and key stakeholders
- Demonstrated experience in leading in a dynamic and changing environment, supporting teams to be resilient, agile and adaptable
- Extensive project management skills and experience, including financial and budget management
- Experience in managing and chairing committees
- High level scientific analysis and report writing skills
- Ability to distil complex scientific information into plain English suitable for a non-technical audience
- Knowledge of Australia’s emergency preparedness and response arrangements
- Commitment to deliver excellent customer service
- Senior experience both operational and strategic in livestock health and disease surveillance, programs and policy
- High level scientific analysis and report writing, applying epidemiological principles
- Degree in Veterinary or Animal Science
- Fluency and expertise with contemporary office software applications, internet communication tools and database administration
- Postgraduate qualification in Epidemiology
- Coaching leadership style
- Experience in Australian agriculture, livestock health, biosecurity, livestock trade and market access
- Practical experience in emergency animal disease response
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation
- Experience in Microsoft Teams
Please submit a CV and a cover letter of no more than one page indicating your suitability for the position to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ‘Head of Program Animal Health Surveillance & Monitoring or clicking on ‘Apply now’ by COB Friday 3 December 2021.
Report this job advert
Learn how to protect yourself here.