Senior Wildlife Keeper and Wildlife Keeper positions
Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary and the Bonorong Wildlife Hospital are a social enterprise with a focus on animal welfare, wildlife and the environment. We have a publicly accessible Wildlife Sanctuary, which helps us to fund the vital community service of a responsive 24/7 wildlife rescue hotline and wildlife hospital.
We are looking for candidates who are team players, who enjoy the outdoors in all of its seasons and have an interest and passion for wildlife.
Bonorong is looking to appoint a senior wildlife keeper in a part time capacity and a number of casual wildlife keepers (numbers will depend on availability of suitable candidates). These roles involve the support and care of wildlife at Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary.
We are also looking to use this recruitment as a way to build a pool of suitable candidates to appoint to vacancies that come up over the following 12 months+ or to meet surge periods.
Having a passion and interest in wildlife and the environment is fundamental to helping deliver Bonorong’s outlook and ethos, so we welcome people with these values and interests.
For the Senior Wildlife Keeper role/s you must have:
- A minimum of 3-5 years experience as a keeper or in a field based animal or environment related positions.
- Team management experience with an interest in leadership and demonstrated team building ideas.
For the Wildlife Keeper role/s you must:
- have demonstrated experience (paid or volunteer) in some form of wildlife, animal or field based environmental roles for at least one year.
Never had anything to do with wildlife and looking for a complete change of career as a wildlife keeper? Then make the case as to why you would translate to this role and how you have demonstrated interest and action for animals or wildlife or the environment to show us how keen you would be.
- An energetic professional who doesn't mind wearing multiple hats.
- Experience, respect and an understanding of the ways to interact and handle wildlife.
- Curious with a desire to learn about wildlife and being comfortable to deliver engaging tours with guests.
- Outstanding customer service skills with knack to know how to provide friendly, informative, satisfying guest interactions.
- An ability to stay calm in a high paced visitor environment.
- A desire to contribute to a positive team environment.
- Comfortable being part of a workplace that is subject to change, but also may offer consistent repeatability.
- An ability to stay calm and work in high paced situations during peak visitation.
- Capacity to ask when not sure, take feedback when provided respectfully and a keen eye for doing things smartly and safely.
- Capability to see problems and be able to offer and be part of solutions.
- Licence to drive a car.
- A values based social enterprise with a focus on animal welfare, wildlife and the environment.
- An innovative and nimble business with awesome customers.
- Driven to provide engaging and connecting wildlife educational experiences in a customer welcoming environment
- Comfy uniforms.
- Friendly, passionate and focused work culture.
As a Wildlife Keeper or Senior Keeper, you are critical to the daily support and health of our Sanctuary resident animals and play a crucial role in being the welcoming face to our guests. Your role will include the delivery of guided tours, undertaking daily tasks to clean, feed and maintain wildlife enclosures and general grounds of the Sanctuary. This is the background work that keeps our animals safe, comfortable and enriched. Our days aren’t spent cuddling animals and yep, it can be a hard slog as we work in all weather, but the rewards are in knowing the difference we are making for wildlife that need a forever home.
On our busiest days, you'll need to be flexible and help out where needed, which might include help in our gift shop, greeting buses or guiding guests.
Your hours of work will be as per rostered and will be within 8am-10pm Monday to Sunday. The Senior Keeper role will be offered in a part time capacity for 32 hours per week on any of the seven days per week. The wildlife keeper roles will be offered as per rostered between 8am-10pm and up to 32 hours per week on any of the seven days per week.
Bonorong is based in Brighton - around 30 minutes north of Hobart CBD. It is essential that you have your own reliable transport to get to and from work.
Due to the nature of this role, we are unable to provide flexibility regarding the location of the role and the times you are required on site.
Interested? Then please read carefully below on how to apply.
Email your resume and a cover letter detailing why you think you’d be a good fit for this role to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications without both a resume and a covering letter will not be considered.
In your covering letter please include:
- Your previous experience in an animal/wildlife/environment related field.
- Whether you are applying for the Senior Keeper role or Wildlife Keeper role.
- What your timeframe for commencement of work would be, should you be successful, or if not immediately available please make this clear and indicate what period of notice you would need to give in order to take up an offered role over the coming 12+ months.
- What hours/days would you be available to work.
- If applying for the Senior Keeper role what is your team management experience?
- Why this role at this time of your life is the right position for you and how you stack up against the desired attributes listed above in the “you” list.
Please do not call or show up in person to apply for or enquire about this position!! Applications and questions are only accepted via the email above.
Due to the amount of applications we receive for any position we advertise; you will only be contacted if you are successful in moving to the next round.
Applications close: Monday 13th December 2021 with an intention for interviews to be held prior to Christmas.
Report this job advert
Learn how to protect yourself here.