Hymba Yumba Independent School (HYIS) is seeking an enthusiastic and passionate I.E.W. to join our team in 2022 for a 12 month contract (with the ability to extend).
HYIS provides a unique opportunity to be part of a new approach to education and community development for Australian Indigenous young people and their families in Springfield and the wider community.
The primary role of the Indigenous Education Worker (I.E.W.) is to ensure quality educational outcomes for young people in a happy, culturally affirming, supportive and democratic school setting. As part of a team, the I.E.W. is expected to contribute to the positive, effective and efficient development of Hymba Yumba Independent School as a vibrant and engaged educational community embedded in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures.
The Four Core Principles of Respect – Myself, My Family, My Community and My Country will always be at the heart of the role.
- Work with the Principal, Deputy Principals, Head of Departments, and teachers in the preparation of resources and in delivering education programmes in the classroom.
- Work with individual jarjums or with a small group to give intensive learning support when requested by Principal, Deputy Principals, Head of Departments, and teachers under limited supervision.
- Ensure classroom materials are maintained and collected at the end of lessons.
- Assist the teacher in the classroom to ensure all jarjums are happily engaged with learning.
- Encourage young people to get to class on time and to participate in learning.
- Work with jarjums on literacy and numeracy intervention programmes under limited supervision.
- Use technology to support learning activities.
- Co-ordinate and deliver whole school programmes.
To be successful in this role the successful applicant will:
- Hold a current Paid Employee Positive Notice Blue Card prior to commencement.
- Have an entitlement to live and work in Australia.
- Demonstrate an ability and initiative to apply your skills in supporting jarjums to achieve successful learning outcomes.
- Understand the work of a classroom and show a willingness to work as part of a team.
- Demonstrate excellent communication and interpersonal skills, both written and verbal.
- Have exceptional organisational and time management skills.
- Have intermediate skills in using Microsoft Office and school databases.
- Demonstrate the ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Have the capacity to maintain confidentiality and exercise discretion.
The position of an I.E.W. is appointed on a full-time, term-time basis (40 weeks per year plus statutory entitlements).
Previous experience as Teacher Aide or Learning Assistant in a school environment and/or hold a minimum Cert 3 in Educational Support, is highly desirable.
Aboriginal peoples and Torres Strait Islander peoples are encouraged to apply. Please note, it is a requirement that applicants be fully vaccinated to be eligible to work within the school as per Government regulations. Applications will be considered once received.
Applications, including Curriculum Vitae and the names of two (2) professional referees should be addressed to:
Hymba Yumba Independent School
by email: email@example.com
- Which of the following statements best describes your right to work in Australia?
- Do you have a current Working With Children (WWC) Check?
- Which of the following statements best describes your Covid-19 vaccination status?
- Have you completed a qualification in education support?
Report this job advert
Learn how to protect yourself here.