Inhalant Response Coordinator (Identified)
The filling of this position is intended to constitute a special/equal opportunity measure under section 8(1) of the Racial Discrimination Act 1975 (Cth), and s 105 of the Anti-Discrimination Act 1991 (Qld). The position is therefore only open to Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander applicants.
Youth Empowered Towards Independence (YETI) is a not for profit youth service based in Cairns Far North Queensland. YETI provides drug and alcohol treatment, adolescent focused family support and practical assistance to young people who might be struggling to make positive connections with family, school, jobs and the community. YETI has 50 staff and is a friendly workplace that embraces cultural and gender diversity and equality.
In this sought after role you will have the opportunity to travel within Cairns, Tablelands and Cassowary Coast regions, and Cape York, Lower Gulf and Torres Strait Islander communities to:
- Utilise a place-based system thinking approach to inhalant response to influence collaborative change and building environments that are conducive to good health and wellbeing for young people in community.
- Undertake inhalant response through working collaboratively with retailers in the development, implementation, and monitoring of supply reduction strategies.
- Design, implement, and facilitate Volatile Substance Use (VSU) training for community service sector workers to increase capacity in responding to VSU.
- Provide inhalant response through education/training workshops, information, resources and support to services and retailers and other key stakeholders.
- Work collaboratively with Dovetail, a state-wide capacity building agency) and Queensland Network Alcohol and other Drug Agencies (QNADA) to support local community inhalant planning and in the development of Inhalant response related resources.
- Collate, analyse, monitor and report on informative VSU data.
- Supervise one team member (VSU Officer).
- Health and/or social service promotions, community development and/or capacity building experience, particularly within an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander context.
- Demonstrated experience in developing, implementing, and facilitating community education and/or training programs, and health and/or social service-related strategies.
- Well-developed interpersonal, negotiation, facilitation, and communication skills, coupled with experience in establishing positive working relationships with a broad and diverse range of stakeholders.
- Ability to communicate sensitively and effectively with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and their communities, particularly across Cape York/Gulf Carpentaria.
- Ability to work independently and accountably with minimal direction as well as collaboratively within a multidisciplinary team.
- Ability and/or flexibility to travel as a requirement of the role.
- Ability to rapidly gain knowledge of the Inhalant response, VSU and supply reduction strategies.
- Highly developed organisational skills, the ability to be flexible and manage competing priorities while maintaining a high level of productivity and focus.
- Demonstrated experience in collating, analysing, monitoring, and reporting health/social service-related data including proficiency in the Microsoft suite of products, in particular Excel, internet platforms and client information data bases for the purpose of data collation, analysis, monitoring and reporting.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander societies and culture, and an understanding of the diverse circumstances and issues affecting urban and traditional Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
- Be of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent.
- Relevant qualifications (minimum Cert IV) in Health, Social Service, or related fields.
- Ability for Frequent travel (via road/aircraft) within the Cairns, Tablelands and Cassowary Coast regions, and Cape York, Lower Gulf and Torres Strait Islander communities.
- Eligibility for a Working with Children Check (Blue Card) or exemption based on professional qualifications and registration.
- A current unrestricted Qld driver’s licence.
- Evidence of Covid-19 vaccination status is a requirement of this position.
Applications close 24 June 2022.
- Do you have a current Working With Children (WWC) Check?
- Which of the following statements best describes your Covid-19 vaccination status?
- Do you have a current Australian driver's licence?
- Are you available to travel for this role when required?
- Do you have experience working with Aboriginal or Torres Strait Island communities?