Brimbank Melton Community Legal Centre (BMCLC) is a program of Comm Unity Plus and provides free legal services, advice, referrals, and community legal education. BMCLC services one of the fastest growing and most culturally diverse regions in Melbourne and has offices in St. Albans and Melton. BMCLC is experiencing significant growth and has recently restructured to support strategic organisational development and the effective delivery of legal support to vulnerable people in the Melton and Brimbank areas.
About the Position
Reporting to the Principal Lawyer, the Graduate Lawyer will be part of a passionate and committed team providing legal assistance and innovative legal projects to a diverse community in Melbourne’s outer-West.
This role would be responsible for provision of legal casework, advice, and information to BMCLC clients, assistance with administrative support, and providing assistance with Community Legal Education.
The role is for someone in their first 12 months of legal practice and will provide exposure and experience in a breadth of generalist and specialist legal areas.
Key Selection Criteria
- Bachelor of Laws or relevant Post Graduate qualification with related experience
- Experience in undertaking legal case work, report writing, issuing general legal advice, and performing tasks associated with generalist legal aid services.
- Demonstrated ability to manage time and competing demands within clear timeframes.
- Demonstrated ability to provide a high standard of customer service to members of the community, clients, internal and external stakeholders, and other agencies.
- Well-developed interpersonal and communication skills including the ability to handle sensitive communications and work with clients from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
- Well-developed organisational and administrative skills, including high level computer and software skills, with demonstrated ability to take accurate client information and maintain electronic client records.
- Proven ability to work effectively in a team and to apply strong initiative and personal judgment to solving problems with minimal supervision.
A current Driver’s License and the ability to travel between offices and outreaches is essential for this role.
Post admission experience in the community legal sector, experience working with communities in the Brimbank Melton region and the proficiency in a community language, would be considered an added advantage for this role.
Additionally, previous experience working in a Community Legal Centre and understanding of social disadvantage and social justice, and experience working with Actionstep, would be highly regarded.
commUnity+ is a child safe organisation that is committed to ensuring the wellbeing of children and young people and protecting them from harm. Applicants must hold a valid Working with Children Check and Police check or the ability to obtain the same.
This role is negotiable for part time or full-time engagement.
We are a friendly and supportive team committed to delivering a high standard of service in a flexible working environment.
To apply online, simply click on the Apply now button. Alternatively, you can forward your application via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org, using the subject line: Graduate Lawyer
Applications must include a cover letter responding to the key selection criteria, and a current resume.
A copy of the Position Description can be found on our website under the ‘Working With Us’ tab and then by clicking on the 'Employment' section at www.comm-unityplus.org.au
Applications close on Tuesday 9 August 2022. For further information or a confidential discussion, please call Cameron Bloye on (03) 8592 9077.
community+ is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes diversity in the workplace. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply.
In line with Directions from Victoria’s Chief Health Officer, commUnity+ require all to be double vaccinated unless they are an Excepted Person as defined by the COVID-19 Mandatory vaccination (Workers) Directions. All applicants must therefore be able to comply with this requirement.
- Have you completed a qualification in law?
- Which of the following statements best describes your right to work in Australia?
- How many years' experience do you have as a lawyer?
- How many hours are you available to work per week?
- Do you hold a current Australian legal practising certificate?
- Do you have experience working in the not-for-profit sector?
Report this job advert
Want the right skills for the job? Prepare for Lawyer roles with an industry-led course.
- Learn in-demand skills from leaders in education
- Browse qualifications that current Lawyers have studied
- Try free online courses for beginners