This role is a remote role - any candidate based in Australia or New Zealand is encouraged to apply.
Hi, we are Intopia!
We are a digital consultancy with a difference. We’re change makers. We believe everyone has a right to inclusive digital experiences. This is our purpose, our quest, the white rabbit we follow.
We do what we love, with people we like, to help make the world more inclusive. We place the user, regardless of their ability, at the centre of everything we do. We work to break down the barriers and make technology universally accessible.
About the role
We are on a quest to find an inclusive user researcher who is interested in making the digital world more inclusive. This is a remote role – anyone with the rights to work in Australia or New Zealand is encouraged to apply. The role is for a 12-month full time contract, with potential to extend or make permanent. What you would be doing in the role will vary but some of the key responsibilities will include:
- Plan, design and facilitate user research and usability feedback sessions, involving people with a disability (in either a virtual or physical environment)
- Work with our customers to understand their objectives when undertaking user research and provide recommendations on improving accessibility and user experience
- Work with the user research team to continually evaluate, refine and improve research processes
- Champion user research with diverse users, including stakeholder engagement and recruitment support
- Create reports from research findings and provide recommendations on improving digital accessibility and user experience
We are looking for people with interesting backgrounds who can add to the extensive experience of our team. That said we still need you to have certain key skills such as:
- Passion for digital accessibility and inclusive design
- 3 years experience in a role(s) involving the facilitation of user research sessions (or similar)
- An understanding of usability and user experience challenges often experienced by minority populations, in particular people with a disability
- An attention to detail with problem-solving skills that rivals Sherlock Holmes
- Good time management skills and must be a self-starter
- Good written and verbal communication skills with the ability to interact with technical and non-technical audiences
- Experience using assistive technologies such as screen readers is preferred
- Knowledge of the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) will be an advantage
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At Intopia we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles
People with disabilities, women and ethnic minorities are strongly encouraged to apply. Preference will be given to applicants with lived experience of disability, experience working with people with disability and/or a demonstrated personal understanding of disability.
Why work with us?
We have an amazing team of over 35 people, each with a diverse range of expertise and experiences. Our team is still growing, and we are now the largest specialist digital accessibility and inclusion team in Australia and New Zealand. Our team are located across most major capital cities in Australia and New Zealand, but we also have team members based in the United States and Canada.
We are a social enterprise who are committed to giving 5% of our revenue to initiatives that directly or indirectly support people with disabilities. We’re also a certified B Corp and proud supporter of the 1 percent pledge initiative. Our work provides positive social impact every day.
Our team is a little different. We know the force is strong and everything is bigger on the inside. We celebrate with glitter, and we know you can build anything with the right bricks.
We value people who:
- love what they do,
- think outside of the box,
- can turn customers into fans,
- are always learning,
- give more then they take,
- and always put people first.
- Flexible working conditions
- Collaborative team environment
- Purpose driven career
- Work from home or a coworking space
Down the rabbit hole
If this role sounds like you, even if you don’t match all the requirements, then we want to hear from you! Apply today by sharing your resume, cover letter and answers to the three questions below. Please attach your answers to the end of your cover letter. You will need to answer all three questions for your application to be considered. We don’t need War and Peace, just a few paragraphs so we can get to know you better.
Q1: What’s the most practical piece of advice you’ve given someone to help improve the user experience of something they’ve worked on?
Q2: What opportunities have been created due to the COVID-19 pandemic that have helped make user research more inclusive and accessible to everyone?
Q3: Why do you want to work for Intopia?
Agencies please do not contact us or send applicants to us. Questions about the role and applications can also be sent to [email protected]
Report this job advert
Want the right skills for the job? Prepare for Researcher roles with an industry-led course.
- Bootcamps that teach you in-demand skills
- Qualifications that current Researchers have studied
- Free online courses for beginners