Email (phishing) scams:
Scammers often mimic legitimate companies, like SEEK, to lure you into opening an email, clicking on a link, making a payment or even giving away your personal information.
Sender's email address - The 'from' address will often be forged to make it look official, so be wary of the 'from' address.
False sense of urgency - Phishing emails usually provoke users into responding immediately by implying a false sense of urgency.
Poor spelling / grammar - Phishing emails are often written poorly. Be wary of poor spelling and grammar. This is usually a tell-tale sign that the email is not from SEEK.
Fake links - Be careful when clicking on links in an email. In phishing emails the sender will try to hide the true destination of a link. Before clicking, hover your mouse pointer over the link to see where it goes. Watch out for any subtle differences in the URL and if you are unsure, don't click the link.
Opportunities that seem too good to be true usually are. Be wary of advertisers or employers requesting the following:
- An upfront fee (e.g. for things such as 'processing' your application). A genuine advertiser or employer WILL NOT ask you for money or your bank or credit card details.
- Acceptance of a money transfer where you can retain a portion as 'payment'.
- Bank or credit card details.
- A copy of your driver’s licence or passport information as part of the application process.
- Tax file number. This information should only be provided once you have accepted a genuine job offer.
- Non work-related personal information, such as your appearance, marital status.
- SEEK username and password.
- Any other personally identifying information.
Always check the legitimacy of any job ad, email or employer that seems suspicious before you respond. For example, large well-known companies usually do not include Hotmail or other free email addresses in their ads. If you have any concerns, call the company directly to verify the job ad.
SEEK endeavours to ensure that all job ads on our site are for legitimate job opportunities and will remove any job ads that are identified to have contravened our Terms and Conditions. If you suspect that a job ad on SEEK is suspicious please contact us on 1300 658 700 in Australia and 0508 733 569 in New Zealand.