What's it like to be a Designer?
Designers are creative professionals who design commercial products, clothing and other functional items, or digital and graphic media. They work to a set of client requirements or a design brief and prepare sketches, diagrams or models that illustrate the design and specifications of the final product.
Tasks and duties
- Determining design project requirements by liaising with clients.
- Preparing sketches, diagrams, models, samples and digital drawings to illustrate design concepts and production specifications.
- Modifying and updating designs in accordance with client feedback.
- Discussing design solutions with clients and stakeholders.
- Selecting and approving materials for use in production (where applicable).
- Using a range of computer software to create mock–ups and sketches.
- Documenting and archiving design details for future use.
- Applying established design principles and techniques.
Designers usually specialise in one or more disciplines of design, including fashion and jewellery design; industrial design; graphic design; interior design or product design. They are employed in design houses, in–house for brands, in design agencies, or may work freelance servicing a list of clients.
What can I earn as a Designer?
Compare salaries by similar roles
How to become a Designer
- Complete a qualification such as bachelor’s degree majoring in Design. This is typically a three–year course of full–time study, although study times may vary depending on the course chosen. A VET qualification such as the Certificate IV in Design (CUA40715) or Diploma of Design will also provide an introduction to Design and its methods and principles.
- Develop a portfolio of your work and showcase it on a website or blog. This can include work you’ve done on mock Design projects. Your portfolio will become one of your most important assets as a Designer.
- Consider joining the Design Institute of Australia while studying and upgrading to a full membership upon graduation.
Explore related qualifications
SEEK users who have worked as a Designer have studied these qualifications.
This vocational diploma provides you with the skills and knowledge to create designs in both print and digital media.
This degree provides specialised arts knowledge in visual and performing arts to prepare for careers in performance and production.