What's it like to be an Executive Assistant?
An Executive Assistant (EA) plays a key organisational role, handling everything from managing an executive’s personal schedule to organising executive board meetings. You may even be asked to represent the executive you support in meetings or other communications.
Tasks and duties
- Accepting and making phone calls and emails on behalf of the executive.
- Scheduling meetings and booking meeting rooms.
- Setting the executive's daily schedule.
- Reviewing incoming reports and handling all correspondence directed to the executive.
- Acting as the point of contact between the executive and colleagues and stakeholders.
- Researching a variety of topics.
- Managing events.
- Coordinating travel arrangements.
- Managing office documentation, filing and databases.
- Producing reports and presentations.
- Managing assistants and delegating tasks.
Depending on the company you work for, you may have one or more assistants to support you in your role and you will need to manage their tasks and delegate assignments to them.
Executive Assistants must be highly organised and dependable and be able to prioritise a busy workload. As well as having superior interpersonal and communication skills, you must also have managerial competency and be able to support the objectives and values of both the company and the executive(s) you work for.
What can I earn as an Executive Assistant?
Latest Executive Assistant jobs on SEEK
How to become an Executive Assistant
- Complete your Secondary School Certificate.
- Complete a Certificate III in Business Administration (BSB30415) or Certificate IV in Business Administration (BSB40515) or a higher qualification such as a Bachelor of Business Administration.
- Gain advanced computer software skills.
- Gain an entry-level position as an assistant to an EA.
Explore related qualifications
SEEK users who have worked as an Executive Assistant have studied these qualifications.
With this qualification you will develop your administrative skills and learn to provide leadership and guidance to others.
This diploma will provide you with the skills to manage the day-to-day operations of a business.