What's it like to be a Fitness Instructor?
Fitness Instructors work with people to support their physical wellbeing and improve their fitness. They usually instruct groups and classes. They work in fitness centres, studios, gyms, physical rehabilitation centres and often work on a casual or part time basis, servicing more than one provider and set of clients.
Tasks and duties
- Delivering group exercise classes and tuition in a variety of fitness activities.
- Demonstrating and advising clients on the proper and safe use of fitness equipment.
- Consulting with various health professionals to develop and design fitness programs.
- Designing fitness programs based on assessment of the clients’ age, level of fitness, goals and abilities.
- Demonstrating and teaching body movements and skills used in fitness routines.
- Setting up and monitoring fitness equipment and ensuring that equipment is safe, clean and in working condition.
- Reporting accidents and preparing accident reports.
- Ensuring fitness centres are left clean and tidy at end of shift.
Fitness Instructors interact with members of the public daily often work shifts including early mornings, after hours on weeknights or on weekends. Experienced workers may specialise in a particular aspect of fitness training or fitness methodology such as Yoga or Aerobics, or work as consultants.
What can I earn as a Fitness Instructor?
Latest Fitness Instructor jobs on SEEK
How to become a Fitness Instructor
- Complete a qualification in fitness. This could be a Certificate III in Fitness (SIS30315), which will prepare you to become a Group Exercise Instructor or Gym Instructor.
- Considering completing a Certificate IV in Fitness (SIS40215), which will qualify you to work as a Personal Trainer, a Diploma of Fitness (SIS50215), or a Diploma of Sport and Recreation Management (SIS50115).
- Hold a current First Aid Certificate.
- Consider joining an industry association such as Fitness Australia or Physical Activity Australia.
Explore related qualifications
SEEK users who have worked as a Fitness Instructor have studied these qualifications.
This diploma will prepare you for a management role in the sport and recreation industry.