What's it like to be a General Manager?
As a General Manager you will plan, direct and coordinate the operations of an organisation or a business unit within an organisation. Rather than focusing on one functional area of management, such as HR, procurement or administration, you will oversee all aspects of the business or business unit.
Tasks and duties
- Overseeing daily operations of the business unit or organisation such as the production, pricing, sales, or distribution of products.
- Creating and implementing growth strategies.
- Setting key performance goals.
- Hiring key personnel and overseeing training programs.
- Evaluating and deciding upon investments in equipment, infrastructure, and people.
- Reporting key results to senior executives.
- Reviewing financial statements, sales or other performance data to measure productivity.
- Identifying areas needing cost reduction or process improvement.
- Directing sales, marketing, or customer service activities.
The role of General Manager is common in large global or multinational organisations where businesses are organised along product lines, customer groups or geographies. The General Manager typically serves as the top executive for the unit and is responsible for strategy, structure, budgets, people, financial outcomes and scorecard metrics.
What can I earn as a General Manager?
Latest General Manager jobs on SEEK
How to become a General Manager
- Complete a Bachelor degree in business administration or a related area.
- Consider completing an advanced degree, such as a Graduate Certificate in Business or Master of Business Administration (MBA).
- Gain experience across the organisation, particularly managing people and processes.
- Demonstrate successful management of profit and loss within a business or business unit.