What's it like to be an Occupational Therapist?
As an Occupational Therapist (OT) your primary goal is to help people carry out daily tasks independently. You may work in hospitals, workplaces, schools, nursing homes, private clinics or private homes.
Occupational Therapists focus on providing personal care for individuals (such as bathing, dressing, preparing food), aiding their productivity (including assisting them at work, in volunteer work or at school), and supporting them with leisure activities (such as involvement in sports, art or music). The OT works in consultation with each of their clients to address their goals and provide assistance where necessary.
OTs tend to focus on tasks that will alleviate physical discomfort and promote social connectedness, independence, emotional wellbeing and general health for their clients.
Latest Occupational Therapist jobs on SEEK
How to become an Occupational Therapist
- Consider preparing for a career in occupational therapy by completing a Certificate IV in Allied Health Assistance (Occupational Therapy) (HLT43015).
- Complete a Bachelor of Occupational Therapy. This generally takes 4 years of full-time study.
- Alternatively, if you have already completed an undergraduate degree, complete a masters degree in occupational therapy. This generally takes 2 years of full-time study. Some institutions may require you to have completed set prerequisite subjects in your undergraduate degree.
- Gain work experience. Examples of relevant experience include working as a nanny for a child with special needs, or working at a summer camp for people with disabilities.
- Register with the Occupational Therapy Board of Australia and meet the Board's registration standards in order to practise in Australia.
Explore related qualifications
SEEK users who have worked as an Occupational Therapist have studied these qualifications.
This degree develops skills and knowledge needed to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapist.
This qualification provides a pathway into a role as an Occupational Therapist if you already hold a Bachelor degree.