What's it like to be a Chief Executive Officer?
A Chief Executive Officer (CEO) is the highest-ranking executive in a company. Although the role of the CEO will differ from organisation to organisation, your main responsibilities will include setting the overall direction of a business and managing the operations and resources of a company.
Tasks and duties
- Communicating, on behalf of the company, with shareholders, government entities, the public and the media.
- Creating and implementing the company’s vision and mission.
- Developing and implementing business and strategic plans and budgets.
- Evaluating the work of other executive leaders within the company.
- Maintaining awareness of the competitive market landscape, expansion opportunities and industry developments.
- Assessing risks to the company and ensuring they are monitored and minimised.
- Reporting through to the Board of Directors with accurate and timely information regarding the organisation’s overall performance, including financials, risk ratings, compliance and growth prospects.
CEOs are predominantly professionals who have strong leadership skills, as well as extensive acquired knowledge, sound judgement and a proven track record of success over time.
What can I earn as a Chief Executive Officer?
Latest Chief Executive Officer jobs on SEEK
How to become a Chief Executive Officer
- Complete a Bachelor degree in business or economics or in the industry you plan to enter.
- Pursue a Master of Business Administration (MBA) or similar post-graduate qualification.
- Gain extensive work experience in a leadership capacity across a range of businesses or work your way up through a company. In small and medium companies, you may become a CEO with 10-15 years of experience, where as in larger companies it generally takes 20-25 years of industry experience to become a CEO.
- Demonstrate your success at a senior management and executive level of leading and managing a business or a business unit within a large organisation.
Explore related qualifications
SEEK users who have worked as a Chief Executive Officer have studied these qualifications.
This certificate will help you take the next step in leadership and management and can also be used as a pathway into an MBA.