What's it like to be an Early Childhood Teacher?
Early Childhood Teachers work with young children (usually aged between two and five years of age) to promote their learning and help them to develop key skills for the future.
Tasks and duties
- Planning and implementing activities to develop and enhance children’s learning, creativity, wellbeing, communication, social skills and physical ability.
- Observing, recording and assessing children’s development, learning and progress.
- Liaising with parents and professionals such as maternal and child health nurses, speech pathologists and psychologists to support children’s health and wellbeing.
A key part of being an Early Childhood Teacher is the ability to relate to, and understand, young children and work with them in groups and individually.
Early Childhood Teachers work in kindergartens, childcare centres, special education settings, government and non-government primary schools, and may work in metropolitan, rural or remote areas.
What can I earn as an Early Childhood Teacher?
Compare salaries by similar roles
How to become an Early Childhood Teacher
- Complete a bachelor degree in the field of early childhood education. This could be a Bachelor of Early Childhood Education, a Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood) or a Bachelor of Teaching (Early Childhood). Alternatively, for students with previous tertiary qualifications, complete a two-year Master of Teaching (Early Childhood).
- Before being able to work as an Early Childhood Teacher, you need to lodge an application form for teacher registration in your state.
- There are many opportunities for career progression for early childhood teachers, such as becoming a special education teacher, education program director, education coordinator or education program manager.
Explore related qualifications
SEEK users who have worked as an Early Childhood Teacher have studied these qualifications.
This qualification provides the knowledge and skills to prepare for a role as an Early Childhood Teacher.
This qualification will prepare you to apply for roles as either a Early Childhood or Primary School Teacher.