What's it like to be a Graphic Designer?
Graphic Designers use visual media (such as drawing, painting, digital media), typography and page design techniques to create print and digital assets, design layout, logos, icons and infographics or develop advertising collateral.
Tasks and duties
- Consult with clients to discuss concept, design, timeline and budget.
- According to the brief, use a variety of materials to create a proposed design, taking into account feedback from the client.
- Advise clients on design developments, develop a design portfolio and stay abreast of industry-specific trends.
Graphic Designers may work in a variety of settings including design studios, private practice, government, start-ups or freelance
As creative professionals, Graphic Designers need to have strong visual skills, which include an understanding of colour, contrast and scale. Many Graphic Designers use different computer suites such as InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator to assist in developing and refining their designs.
Latest Graphic Designer jobs on SEEK
How to become a Graphic Designer
- Undertake a formal qualification in graphic design. This may be a Diploma of Graphic Design (CUA50715) or a Bachelor of Design (Graphic Design).
- There are numerous opportunities for Graphic Designers who want to further their career. This may include pursuing a specialisation or working towards becoming an art director, creative lead or user experience designer.