What's it like to be a Primary School Teacher?
Primary School Teachers educate children between the ages of 5 and 12. They use a prescribed curriculum to develop students’ literacy and numeracy skills, and foster social, physical and emotional growth.
Tasks and duties
- Preparing lesson plans, teaching a full range of subject areas and assessing and evaluating students’ educational progress.
- Maintaining productive working habits and discipline in the classroom and supervising students both in the classroom and outside during breaks.
- Discussing students’ progress with parents and guardians as well as organising and supervising school activities such as excursions and camps.
Subject areas within the curriculum include mathematics, English, science, technology, humanities and social science, arts, health and physical education.
Primary School Teachers use a variety of techniques to engage students with the learning process according to their age, level of ability and individual needs.
What can I earn as a Primary School Teacher?
Compare salaries by similar roles
How to become a Primary School Teacher
- Complete a degree in Primary Education, such as a Bachelor of Education (Primary), which will provide you with the knowledge needed to teach a full range of subjects and understand and engage students. You will also gain valuable experience through scheduled work placements.
- If you already have a Bachelor degree in another discipline then a postgraduate degree such as a Master of Education or Master of Teaching specialising in Primary Education is a good option. These degrees will also give you valuable work experience.
- To become a qualified teacher and find work in a school, you must be registered with your state’s Teacher Registration Authority. For more information on the specific requirements for registration please see your relevant state authority.
Explore related qualifications
SEEK users who have worked as a Primary School Teacher have studied these qualifications.
This degree will give you the skills and knowledge to work as a Teacher in Primary Schools.
If you have already completed any undergraduate degree, this qualification will prepare you for a career as a primary teacher.
This qualification will prepare you to apply for roles as either a Early Childhood or Primary School Teacher.