What's it like to be a Real Estate Agent?
A Real Estate Agent may specialise in the sale, purchase or leasing and management of residential, commercial, industrial or agricultural property whether it be existing dwellings, off the plan or vacant lots of land.
Tasks and duties
- Seeking out prospective vendors and identifying potential buyers.
- Promoting sales of properties through brochures, open houses, print and online listings.
- Presenting properties and accompanying prospective buyers during property inspections.
- Writing vendor reports, appraising properties, preparing contracts and documents, negotiating terms between buyers and sellers and facilitating settlements.
- Advising clients on market conditions, prices, mortgages, legal requirements and related matters, such as construction work, financing, maintenance, repairs, and appraisals.
- Developing networks of solicitors, lenders, and tradespeople to whom clients may be referred.
As a Real Estate Agent, you are in the people business so face-to-face meetings and phone calls are a big part of the job. You will be responsible for presenting properties in the best possible light, highlighting their key selling attributes in order to obtain the best price for the vendor whilst being remunerated in commissions.
Many Real Estate Agents work on weekends, particularly those in residential sales, as this is the time when auctions and open inspections typically occur.
What can I earn as a Real Estate Agent?
Compare salaries by similar roles
How to become a Real Estate Agent
- Complete work experience. You must have gained at least 12 months full-time experience as an agent’s representative at any time during the last three years immediately before applying for a licence.
- Complete a real estate course delivered by a registered training organisation, such as a Certificate IV in Property Services (Real Estate) (CPP40307) .
- Apply for your real estate agent’s licence.
What skills are employers looking for?
- Results orientation
- Real estate agent's licence
- Organisational skills
- Self motivation
- Communication skills
- Ms office proficiency
- Customer centricity
- Persuasion & influence