What's it like to be a Division One Registered Nurse?
A Registered Nurse (RN) Division 1 is responsible for providing primary health care services. It is usual for RN Division 1s to work in settings such as hospitals, aged care, mental health and education.
Tasks and duties
- Planning, providing, documenting and evaluating patient healthcare problems and undertaking assessments and treatment as required.
- Preparing patients for examinations, administering medication and providing post-operative care.
- Coordinating professional care according to individual patient plan, and adhering to national standards and legal requirements.
The role of an RN Division 1 may vary depending on the patient and the setting, but they tend to work collaboratively with other skilled professionals such as Doctors, Surgeons, Physiotherapists, speciality Nurses and others to provide patient care.
Depending on the setting, RN Division 1s may work shifts (evenings, weekends and public holidays).
What can I earn as a Division One Registered Nurse?
Compare salaries by similar roles
How to become a Division One Registered Nurse
- Complete a bachelor degree in the field of nursing. This could be a Bachelor of Nursing, Bachelor of Science (majoring in Nursing) or Bachelor of Nursing (Enrolled Nurse).
- Alternatively, for students with previous tertiary qualifications, complete a two-year Master of Nursing (Graduate Entry) program, or a Bachelor of Nursing (Graduate Entry).
- After completing your qualification, apply to the AHPRA (Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency) to practice as a RN Division 1.
- RNs with several years’ experience can move into more specialised roles (such as rural and remote, intensive care, surgical nursing or oncology), transfer into the medical administrative sector or become a Nurse Unit Manager.
Explore related qualifications
SEEK users who have worked as a Division One Registered Nurse have studied these qualifications.
Develop broad skills in science to prepare for opportunities in a range of industries with this qualification.