What's it like to be a Sales Representative?
Sales Representatives are responsible for promoting and selling products and services to retail and wholesale outlets, businesses and industry professionals.
Tasks and duties
- Visiting clients to demonstrate products and answer questions.
- Taking orders from clients.
- Training Sales Consultants to on-sell the products Sales Representatives are selling effectively.
- Scheduling regular visits and appointments with clients.
- Networking and cold-calling to broaden number of buyers.
- Setting, quoting and negotiating prices and terms.
- Drawing up contracts.
- Attending trade shows and give demonstrations, coordinate product displays and give out samples.
- Reporting and working to sales targets.
- Maintaining a Customer Relationship Management database.
Savvy, driven, goal-orientated and persuasive, Sales Representatives establish and maintain relationships with key figures to create awareness of the brand they represent, sell as many units as possible and deepen or broaden their reach to generate further sales.
They are also likely to be the person responsible for training Sales Consultants to sell the products they represent, as they are experts in the product’s development and potential benefits to consumers.
Latest Sales Representative jobs on SEEK
How to become a Sales Representative
- Get your foot in the door in a role, as most companies will give you some on-the-job training. Selling is something you can learn, but some people will naturally take to it very quickly due to their inherent personality traits.
- You may need qualifications if you plan to work in a specialised industry, such as the automotive industry. There are Certificate III and IVs available in these specialised industries through a TAFE or a Registered Training Organisation.
- Consider completing a Bachelor degree at university. The courses generally take 3 years full-time. You’ll need to have completed year 12 or gain admission through an alternative pathway.
Explore related qualifications
SEEK users who have worked as a Sales Representative have studied these qualifications.
Develop broad skills in science to prepare for opportunities in a range of industries with this qualification.