What's it like to be a Science Teacher?
Science Teachers are qualified school teachers who have specialised in teaching science to students (typically aged 12 – 18 years) in the secondary school system.
Tasks and duties
- Meet state curriculum requirements by teaching students in secondary school classes science content and subject matter by using a variety of materials and catering for students with varying learning styles and capabilities.
- Use innovative and contemporary teaching methods to maximise students’ learning outcomes and support them to develop successful learning and study habits.
- Use a variety of assessment tasks to evaluate, record and report on students’ development, learning and progress with regard to their science skills, knowledge and achievement.
Science Teachers need to be confident teaching mixed ability classes and in differentiating the science curriculum in the classroom.
Science Teachers are usually required to attend staff meetings, parent-teacher interviews and supervise extra curricular activities as required out of school hours.
Latest Science Teacher jobs on SEEK
How to become a Science Teacher
- Complete a bachelor degree in the field of education. This is usually a Bachelor of Education (Secondary). Ensure that the course has Initial Teacher Education (ITE) approval. Alternatively, for students with previous tertiary qualifications who have a major and minor in at least two curriculum areas recognised by Australian schools, complete a two-year Master of Teaching (Secondary).
- Before being able to work as a Science teacher, you need to lodge an application for teacher registration in your state. It is also recommended you join the Australian Science Teachers Association.
- There are many opportunities for career progression for school science teachers, such as becoming a leading teacher, science coordinator/head of science.
Explore related qualifications
SEEK users who have worked as a Science Teacher have studied these qualifications.
This qualification provides skills and knowledge to prepare for a career as a Secondary School Teacher.
Develop broad skills in science to prepare for opportunities in a range of industries with this qualification.