What's it like to be a Sous Chef?
A Sous Chef plays a key role in a commercial kitchen as the second in command to the head chef or executive chef.
Tasks and duties
- Prepare and design menus, taking into account the profitability and efficiency of each dish.
- Direct food preparation, order and purchase supplies and take stock inventories.
- Manage and train kitchen staff, ensuring all staff comply with regulations and safety standards.
In addition to being an excellent chef, a Sous Chef also needs to lead a kitchen team effectively and ensure the kitchen is run in an efficient and profitable manner.
Sous Chefs need to be calm under pressure and have a solid work ethic. They also need to have excellent organisational and communication skills.
What can I earn as a Sous Chef?
Latest Sous Chef jobs on SEEK
How to become a Sous Chef
- Complete an apprenticeship and gain a vocational qualification such as a Certificate III in Commercial Cookery (SIT30813) in order to work as a chef.
- Work as a chef and take on increasingly more responsibility in areas such as preparation, supervision, stock control and health and safety.
- Consider undertaking further studies, such as an Associate Degree of Culinary Management to further develop kitchen service and management skills.