What's it like to be a Trades Assistant?
A Trades Assistant is responsible for helping and supporting tradespeople and assisting with maintenance of worksites and equipment. Trades Assistants commonly work within the electrical, telecommunications, mining and building and construction industries.
Tasks and duties
- Supporting tradespeople, contractors and operators with general labouring assistance, by operating hand and power tools and by cleaning and preparing worksites.
- Ensuring the worksite and associated equipment is clean, safe, tidy and ready for use.
- Undertaking and completing assigned tasks with minimal supervision and in compliance with health and safety regulations.
A Trades Assistant is an important member of a team who provides what tradespeople need in terms of equipment, tools and labouring support.
Individuals who are self-motivated, reliable, hard working and with initiative are well suited to becoming a Trades Assistant.
What can I earn as a Trades Assistant?
Latest Trades Assistant jobs on SEEK
How to become a Trades Assistant
- Choose an industry to work in. Trades Assistants may work in areas such as telecommunications, mining, building and construction, landscaping or the marine sector.
- Complete training with a registered organisation to obtain a White Card. The White Card certification will remain valid unless you do not work in construction for a period of two years or more.
- Investigate to see if there are any additional requirements, such as clothing, equipment or safety prerequisites.
- Consider undertaking on-the-job training or completing a TAFE course such as a Certificate II in Construction (CPC20112) to build on the knowledge you’ve acquired on the job.
Explore related qualifications
SEEK users who have worked as a Trades Assistant have studied these qualifications.
This certificate provides you with basic skills needed to work on a construction site and prepares you to undertake an apprenticeship.
Develop broad skills in science to prepare for opportunities in a range of industries with this qualification.
This certificate provides skills and knowledge to prepare for an engineering apprenticeship.