What's it like to be an Aged Care Worker?
Aged Care Workers provide support to elderly people by assisting with daily activities and personal tasks. This often includes providing support with eating, showering, dressing, tidying and cleaning. Aged Care Workers can work from their client’s home or residential care facility.
Tasks and duties
- Feeding, showering, dressing and administering medications.
- Preparing meals and drinks.
- Tidying and cleaning, including sanitising activities.
- Engaging with family members to offer observations, instructions and updates.
- Assisting with mobility, providing transport to and from medical appointment and light physiotherapy exercises.
- Providing social support, such as escorting the client on outings to cafes, shops and going on excursions.
- Following health and safety guidelines.
One of the primary tasks of an Aged Care Worker is to arrange and facilitate activities designed to enhance the different kinds of wellbeing — emotional, social and physical. From games and gardening to reading and gentle exercise, Aged Care Workers help to ensure their elderly charges are cared for, happy and connected.
Aged Care Workers are generally friendly, patient and compassionate people who enjoy talking with elderly people as much as they enjoy assisting them with their tasks.
What can I earn as an Aged Care Worker?
Compare salaries by similar roles
How to become an Aged Care Worker
- Complete a Certificate III in Individual Support (Ageing) (CHC33015) at a TAFE or Registered Training Organisation. This will give you a good overview of aged care, along with the safety, legal and ethical protocols you need to know when working with the elderly.
- Complete a traineeship at an aged care facility, under the direct instruction from senior Aged Care Workers.
- Consider completing a first aid certificate to be able to administer basic first aid if you find yourself in an emergency situation.
- To get experience in this industry and to boost your resume, you can volunteer with Seniors and Aged Care.