What's it like to be a Barista?
Baristas prepare, make and serve coffee-based drinks. They usually work in coffeehouses, cafes and restaurants. Baristas combine their love of coffee with the thrill of working in a fast-paced customer service role.
Tasks and duties
- Understanding coffee and coffee making techniques.
- Making coffee and other coffee-based drinks.
- Keeping equipment clean and operating.
- Educating staff on coffee and training them how to use the equipment in order to ensure the coffee-making standards are always high.
Latest Barista jobs on SEEK
How to become a Barista
- Complete a short TAFE course to learn the basics of coffee-making and using a coffee machine, such as Prepare and serve espresso coffee. You could also consider completing a Food Handling Certificate (Level 1) if you intend on serving food to customers.
- Alternatively, many cafes will offer one-the-job training to new baristas.
- After many years of experience and additional business training, you could consider opening your own cafe.
Explore related qualifications
SEEK users who have worked as a Barista have studied these qualifications.
This certification will help you meet the legal requirements to handle and prepare food.