What's it like to be a Designer?
Designers are creative professionals who design commercial products, clothing and other functional items, or digital and graphic media. They work to a set of client requirements or a design brief and prepare sketches, diagrams or models that illustrate the design and specifications of the final product.
Tasks and duties
- Determining design project requirements by liaising with clients.
- Preparing sketches, diagrams, models, samples and digital drawings to illustrate design concepts and production specifications.
- Modifying and updating designs in accordance with client feedback.
- Discussing design solutions with clients and stakeholders.
- Selecting and approving materials for use in production (where applicable).
- Using a range of computer software to create mock–ups and sketches.
- Documenting and archiving design details for future use.
- Applying established design principles and techniques.
Designers usually specialise in one or more disciplines of design, including fashion and jewellery design; industrial design; graphic design; interior design or product design. They are employed in design houses, in–house for brands, in design agencies, or may work freelance servicing a list of clients.
What can I earn as a Designer?
Latest Designer jobs on SEEK
How to become a Designer
- Complete a qualification such as bachelor’s degree majoring in Design. This is typically a three–year course of full–time study, although study times may vary depending on the course chosen. A VET qualification such as the Certificate IV in Design (CUA40715) or Diploma of Design will also provide an introduction to Design and its methods and principles.
- Develop a portfolio of your work and showcase it on a website or blog. This can include work you’ve done on mock Design projects. Your portfolio will become one of your most important assets as a Designer.
- Consider joining the Design Institute of Australia while studying and upgrading to a full membership upon graduation.
Explore related qualifications
SEEK users who have worked as a Designer have studied these qualifications.
Develop broad skills in science to prepare for opportunities in a range of industries with this qualification.